Help With DIY Car Audio Sub??

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Gregg Loewen, Jul 12, 2001.

1. Gregg Loewen

Gregg Loewen Video Standards Instructor, THX Ltd.
    Insider

Gregg Loewen
    I dont have a clue where to start. I want a "little" sub for my Jeep Wrangler. It needs to fit in a trunk type of space and can be 11 x 22 inches. I was thinking of a sonotube ( [​IMG]) type of enclosure?? Is there a way to do a simple Isobaric design with 2 10" drivers in a sonotube in a 22" enclosure? The speaker magnet could extend beyond 22" but that would be the max length I would be able to use for the sonotube. It will be driven by an old (and large) Kenwood mono amp with dual outputs.
    Other suggestions? I guess I could make a box but dont really want to go to that much effort. Also, I need some suggestions for drivers.
    Thanks in advance!!
    Gregg
    ------------------
    The Sonodome
    The Newest Sonotube
    Gregg's DVDs
    The Family Units

2. Ryan Hawke

Ryan Hawke Agent

I wouldn't suggest sonotube for a car sub just for the simple reason that square boxes maximize space a lot better (unless its a round space). Building a box for a car trunk sucks! I have a Nissan Sentra and there is a weird bump in the trunk that I had to compensate for with a weird shaped box. If you want help from a lot of people that know car audio, trywww.sounddomain.com and try the forums. Good luck!
    --Ryan

3. Mark Hayenga

Mark Hayenga Supporting Actor

So up to 22" long and 11" in diameter? (FYI I think Sonotube only comes in even-diameter increments, but I could be wrong). Anyway that looks to be about ~1.2 cubic feet of space, more if stuffed. Depending on what drivers you go with it might be more beneficial to run them seperately instead of isobarically, but all that's up to you [​IMG]
    For drivers, the Eclipse 1038R and Peerless 850146 both look like decent drivers for car use - rubber surrounds, poly cones, decent xmax (for tens anyway). They're both ~$60 each from Madisound. (There's a pic of the Eclipse on the Madisound site, for pic of the Peerless look here: http://www.acc.umu.se/~sagge/audio/p...50146_side.jpg )
    If you want to spend less, MCM sells a cheap 10" that I believe John Janowitz has reported favorably on. Part number 55-1525, webpage on it is http://www.i-mcm.com/Search/level_5....95&SKUID=35739
    If you can spend more, the Dayton Titanic 10" is a very well built 10" driver. Actual T/S specs are a little off from advertised numbers, but it should still work well in a sealed box in-car. I can't remember what the specs we measured on the four of them we had were, but both Fs and Qt came in a little high. Very well constructed though.
    HTH,
    Mark
    [Edited last by Mark Hayenga on July 13, 2001 at 01:48 AM]

4. Gregg Loewen

Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Thanks guys. Forgot to mention my pricing limit, probably around $200 in total for the 2 drivers.
    The reason I was considering sonotube is ease of use. I guess I can cut up some MDF instead. My trunk size is limited because I installed a "hide a trunk" in the back of my jeep. I will remove this and this will give me a little more room to work with.
    A custom shop installed (and built) a custom box with 2 10" drivers (isobaric) design so that is why I have mentioned it now. I dont have a lot of room to work with.
    Gregg
    ------------------
    The Sonodome
    The Newest Sonotube
    Gregg's DVDs
    The Family Units

5. Jeff_Krueger

Jeff_Krueger Stunt Coordinator

I would recomend using a single 10" driver from one of the Bigger name manufacturers like Image Dynamics or JL Audio.
    For example a 10W3 from JL will work in a .65cu ft enclosure and will handle plenty of power than what is is rated at. It is available in dual 2ohm ,4ohm and 6ohm voice coil configuretions, has over 13mm of real one way Xmax and will cost less than $200.
    I recomend checking outwww.jlaudio.com

6. Kyle

Kyle Stunt Coordinator

I put 2 10's in my "add a trunk" in my 97 jeep wrangler. I just used 1/2 in high density particle board and made it the same size as the "trunk". I had to take a notch out for the gate handle. It sounds great and you can't see it from the outside even with the top off.
    ------------------
    Kyle

7. Dan_D

Dan_D Stunt Coordinator

I second the ID brand subs. the Image Dynamics Q series subs have excellent SQ. Im sure you can find a pair for about $200 as well. the ID6s are also some of the best midbasses ive heard in car audio.
    ------------------

8. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

I third the image dynamics product. Great product for the price. I'd also consider infity reference series subs, 10's can be had for 60$ online.
    I despise JL audio. IMO the only thing JL has going for them is their marketing department.

9. Bob Ahlberg

Bob Ahlberg Agent

I've used many different kinds of car audio subs and the Image Dynamics Q series are right at the top along with the now discontinued Infinity Beta series. Depending on how much bass you want, one 10" sub in a car with amaze you with the cabin gain you will get. In fact, in my explorer I have to pull out about 6db both at 50hz and 63hz due to cabin gain and cabin resonance.
    Building a box is really not hard...and frankly a square ()or rectangular) one is easier than making two nice round end caps for that sonotube. One box 12" square with an Image Dynamics 12 in it should make you very happy. If you want to go smaller, you can use the 10" image in a box anywhere from .5 to .75 cu. ft. with good results. The low bass will be better in the larger box. Go towww.imagedynamicsusa.com they have tech pages to help with the box building.
    Bob

10. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Gregg,
    I think your best bet would be to go with a pair of SV10's from ACI. They're a bit more expensive than what you're wanting to pay ($119 each) but I think they'll easily best just about anything in their price range. I don't know of another 10" driver (JL Audio and Image Dynamics included) that has a 16mm Xmax. Don't get me wrong! I am very familiar with the quality of JL and ID but I just don't think they can touch the SV10 for the money.
    Here's a link in case you're interested.
    http://www.subwoofers.com/MobileAud/...ivers/sv10.asp
    Brian
    ------------------

11. Philip_G

Philip_G Producer

actually the ID MAX does have better extension I believe. Hang on I'll look for the specs.
    can't put my finger on the #'s [​IMG] here's a pic of the ID max on the left and an MTX on the right. Granted they're out of the budget (mine too) I just like to look at them [​IMG]
    http://forums.off-topic.net/attachme...&postid=523214
    [Edited last by Philip_G on July 15, 2001 at 07:49 PM]

12. Chris Eriksen

Chris Eriksen Stunt Coordinator

Bob,
    Have you relocated to Illinois? I was wondering why I haven't seen you around the Twin Cities. Are you still competing? (If this is a different Bob Ahlberg, please pardon the questions.)
    Gregg,
    I have done several systems in Jeep Wranglers, and my best recommendation is to tune low. Compared to similarly-sized vehicles, there is not a lot of cabin gain in a Wrangler. If you go with a sealed box, shoot for the larger end of the recommended enclosure range. For a ported enclosure, tune it low and locate the vents so they fire under the rear seat.
    I hope this helps! [​IMG]

13. Gregg Loewen

Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Thanks for the help guys!!
    I went with 2 10" Blaupunkts, mainly because of price $80 total. I already had Blau deck, 6x9s, and amp so I figured...(ignorance is wonderful thing).
    So I got the message that the sonotube isnt a great idea, due to me needing to use every square inch of trunk space available to me. So I will attempt making a box.
    Next question:
    I want to keep my box to the smallest possible size. Blaupunkt's web site recommends 1-1.5 cf per driver, and Im sure I want to have them ported (each to have a 2 in ID with a length of 3.8).
    So, if I go with a isobaric design then I can minimize the enclosure size?? My last sub had the 10 inch driver inside the enclosure and the second driver pointed towards the first and mounted on the exterior. How do I make allowances from Blau's recommendations to accomodate an isobaric design??
    I will definitely have the ports forward firing under the rear seat. Also, my Jeep has a hard top attached (only rarely comes off) so I do expect some cabin gain.
    [Edited last by Gregg Loewen on July 15, 2001 at 08:23 PM]

14. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Gregg,
    For an isobaric design you will be able to use the drivers in half the recommended airspace. So go with the 1.5^3 design and cut it in half! So that's .75ft^3! I'm not sure how this affects your port length though. It may require the ports to be longer for the same tuning frequency. I'll leave that for the real experts around here!
    Brian
    ------------------

15. Gregg Loewen

Insider

Gregg Loewen
    Brian, thanks!
    The ideal recommendation for the Blau drivers are 1.5 cf each. So I will be able to do 1.5 cf total done isobarically? This would be GREAT!!!! Now, not sure about port lengths and how to actually construct an isobaric design.
    ------------------
    The Sonodome
    The Newest Sonotube
    Gregg's DVDs
    The Family Units

16. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Gregg,
    Well, yes and no. With the isobaric design you can use the two drivers in a .75ft^3 enclosure and get the same response curve as one driver in the 1.5ft^3 enclosure. But you can also do the full 1.5ft^3 enclosure for both drivers and get a more efficient system. This would be equivalent to a 3ft^3 enclosure. This might be a bit better for sealed applications than ported in the auto environment.
    Just remember that the isobaric design has one major disadvantage. That's efficiency. Because cone mass is doubled (two drivers) the efficiency is down 3dB. If you've got plenty of power this isn't an issue.
    Brian
    ------------------

17. Gregg Loewen

Insider

Gregg Loewen
    thanks so much guys!! I just wanted to give an update. I have the MDF cut and went to get some 2.5 " PVC for a port but couldnt find it. Will look again tomorrow. With a little luck Ill get it finished tomorrow evening and be able to post some pics by the weekend!!
    Special thanks to: Chris Erikson
    Gregg
    ------------------
    The Sonodome
    The Newest Sonotube
    Gregg's DVDs
    The Family Units