What's new

Help with Denon AVR-3312CI (1 Viewer)

MarkSchro

Stunt Coordinator
I first got this unit back in Jan. and had to send it back because of faulty hdmi. I have had it working great until a month ago when it started to go into protection mode. We would watch tv and after an hour it would shut off and red light blinking which means protection mode. Turn it off and back on and it would work. Then it started to got into protection mode the second it I would turn it on. It would do that for an hour straight. Tried again a couple of hours later and it worked for the rest of the night, Now it would just do it on certain days. I would come home from work and the receiver would work all night the next day it would go into protection mode all night long. I have it plugged into a monster hts 5000 surge protector. I ran an extension cord and tried numerous plugs from all over the house and same result. I checked all speaker wire, fine. I only have blu ray, cable box, and xbox going through the Denon hdmi. I unhooked all hdmi and ran it straight to tv and just sent a rca from cable box to Denon just for sound. With that setup I have only had the denon go into protection mode twice out of the last 2 weeks. I sent Denon an email asking for support and they said it could be my speakers being 4ohms. Old Mirage M4's but the Denon ran these great for 6 months with no problem. There is plenty of air space that was one of Denon's suggestion. Not sure what to do, other forums say there is a know problem with this unit but Denon said nothing about it when I asked. If I have to pack it up and send it across country it will cost me pricey shipping but not sure if they will actually fix the problem. I think it is the hdmi but I really have no idea what to do. Does anyone have any suggestions?? I did try resetting the micro processor. The only other thing I can think of is to use my parasound amps that run zones 2 and 3 for my Mirage front speakers and see what happens. Help.
Mark

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Cumulative heat can cause problems over time...
How loud do you listen to it?
Denon "is" correct your OHM load is too low, but that only matters(really) if you push the amp section beyond its cooling limits.
Things to try...
Unhook all speakers except the front three. Does it still go into protection? If it does, it is not a speaker problem(essentially three speakers, even at "full bore", won't ask too much from the AVR to cause heat to be a problem).
Like you've already done, bypassing HDMI. If you run everything component/tos-llink...and it does not go into protection...then it is something wrong with the HDMI board.
The HDMI board in any AVR generates heat.
Lastly, could you post a pic of where the AVR is? Denon, in the manual, states you need 12 inches on both sides and 7-8 inches minimum above.

MarkSchro

Stunt Coordinator
Sam,
I don't listen to it that loud (2 kids) that is why I didn't think it was the OHM, I never get close to 0 usually around 40 db. I don't have a pic on hand but it has 6 inches above it open and behind it is open and the sides have about 4 inches. I would come home and the unit being off all day was still cold and the second I turned it on it would go into protection with out ever getting hot. I even put a small fan blowing on it after Denon sent me the same specs about air space on sides and above. This week I will unplug everything and remove the unit form its shelf and set it up in middle of room as the last test. I do appreciate the response and I will give everything a try before having to ship it out.
Mark

MarkSchro

Stunt Coordinator
Just thought I would give some feedback on Denon. After seeing all the posts and having my own issues it seems Denon's quality has gone done hill. After giving up on my 5800 and getting the 3312CI I have sent it back twice now the first time Denon paid for shipping both ways. Now Denon has changed their repairs to panurgyoem so I had to pay to ship it their. I just got it back and they had to replace all channels. I called to see what happened and they just said repaired all channels. The first time, right out of the box the hdmi would not work ended up being bad soldering on their part. Twice in a year is way to much for any receiver to break down. I love the sound but starting to wonder about quality over mass production. My 5800 had to same as many of you with the protection mode blinking red light on power. But I had that receiver for over 10 years before it happened. Good luck to all Denon owners!!

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Real Name
Sam Posten
Electronics are not bullet proof. It is an unfortunate truth and this is one area where you benefit from buying locally. There is no way to tell whether your issue truly is a faulty build (possible), a power surge (unlikely but possible, or user error or environmental damage from overloading or using in a confined space. It is natural to want to blame someone but your initial jump to say that Denon is going down hill seems a bit premature and not backed up by a rash of other widespread public angst over similar....

MarkSchro

Stunt Coordinator
I would disagree about being premature. My 5800 had problems and I went to 2 authorized Denon repair centers in California. The first place had my 5800 for a month and ended up giving it back to me. The second one finally fixed the protection mode but all the analong inputs died while fixing it and they wanted to charge me extra for it. I still have the Denon 5800 sitting in a closet collection dust. I had that unit for at least 10 years. I bought my AVR 3312 straight through Denon as a replacement unit. They gave me good deal because I had purchase their top of line 5800 way back when. But right out of the box straight from Denon all HDMI plugs did not work bad soldering, which they admitted to. 5 months later the protection mode goes on and all channels need to be replaced. Same speakers and set up for the last 13 years. The unit in now working but for how long? I am going to pull my old parasound 1000 amps from my zone 2 and 3 and use those instead on denon's amps to drive my mirage M5's. Either way it would be hard for me to think my statement is premature but just an opinion.

MarkSchro

Stunt Coordinator
One more think about Denon it seems other forums have a lot more posting about their new line having issues. Just check out avs
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1398777/denon-avr-3312-inherent-problem#post_22673047 it seems lots of people are having issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MHoltz
Recent bookmarks