Help with Decision - XBox vs PS2

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Lin Park, Nov 6, 2004.

1. Lin Park

Lin Park Second Unit

I have a nice HT and absolutely no gaming hardware yet. I started investigating these 2 systems several weeks ago and am having a tough time making a decision. I'm not partial to any particular games at this point and am just starting out from a gaming perspective.

I have found that the XBox has an HD kit that you can purchase separately but I can't seem to find a similar feature for the PS2. My TV will only accept 480P signals from a component input perspective but the literature implies that the device for the XBox supports this (except for movie playback but I won't be using the XBox for that).

Can anyone confirm that the HD kit actually provides a better gaming experience and works with 480P inputs? Also, any other comments comparing these 2 systems would be greatly appreciated.

2. MarkWC

MarkWC Stunt Coordinator

3. Brian Kidd

Brian Kidd Screenwriter
    Supporter

Lin,

The Xbox will indeed send out a component signal to your HDTV for gaming. A few games will even run at 1080i. You will have to purchase the HD Pack which is essentially a dongle with component jacks and an optical digital audio jack. It's not too expensive, really. The PS2 doesn't do Hi-Def.

The Xbox has better graphics and sound capabilities than the PS2, but the PS2 can still look great when the programmers know what they are doing.

It really comes down to games. The PS2 has the largest installed base, so it naturally has the most games in its catalog. However, quantity does not always equal quality. With any system there are good games and bad games. There are plenty of great games on either system and they are priced pretty much evenly. The one area where the PS2 shines over the Xbox is in the traditional console RPG genre. Sadly, the Xbox just never attracted the RPG developers in great numbers. The Xbox does have KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC, which kicks all sorts of booty along with a few other, more PC-like, RPGs; but you won't find any Enix/Square games like FINAL FANTASY or KINGDOM HEARTS.

The one thing that I can say with absolute certainty that the Xbox can do that the PS2 can't is that it is so mod-able it isn't funny. The Xbox is essentially a PC at heart with a hard drive and an ethernet port built in. Until recently the PS2 broadband connection was an add-on and the hard drive on the PS2 is essentially for one game, FINAL FANTASY 11. With a little work and some minor investment, you can make your Xbox do all sorts of neat things. Sadly, I don't think we're allowed to discuss them here.

Anyway, clear as mud? It really comes down to personal preference. Both machines are fine gaming machines with their own individual strengths and weaknesses. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions and I'll help you out as best I can.

Have fun!

4. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

2 words: Halo 2

5. Bill Blank

Bill Blank Stunt Coordinator

I'm also confused about the XBOX HD Pack. If Monster sells a component Gamelink like that for the PS2 I should be able to get 480p to my TV without the HD Pack. With the HD Pack it appears I'm required to buy it AND traditional A/V cables to connect to the TV.

What does the HD Pack have in it that makes it different from the Monster Gamelink component cables that it will somehow pass 720p or 1080i?

Bill

6. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Not sure if I get you, Bill, but my XBox HD pack came with all the cables I needed (sans the optical cable for 5.1 audio). I bought two, in fact, so I leave them plugged in to my 2 TVs and move my XBox to the living room and bedroom with ease, in case I have guests who want to watch a movie or TV in the living room I can still play XBox in HD in the BR.

7. Bill Blank

Carlo,

I was under the impression that the Microsoft HD Pack didn't come with video or audio cables. You're saying it does in fact come with component video cables?

I still don't undertand what's inside the pack that allows it to pass an HD image as opposed to just using the Monster Gamelink 400.

Bill

8. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

My HD pack came with the cables as well, but that was also back at launch, so things might have changed...

As for which console to buy, my bias definitely goes with the Xbox. From a hardware perspective, it's the most powerful of the platforms, and I think that the Xbox exclusive games are better than the ps2 exclusive ones.

The best thing to do though is head over to gamespot and read some reviews. Make a list of the games you're interested in on each system, and buy the platform with the longest/best list, not counting games that are available on both Xbox and Ps2.

9. Jay Mitchosky

Jay Mitchosky Producer

I would say Xbox as it has a bit more life left than the PS2 (came out later) and the A/V capabilities are astounding. If you have any interest in online gaming Xbox Live is awesome. PS2 has way more games but even so I don't have enough time to play all the ones I would like on Xbox. Great point above re: the genres supported, however. Go where the games are (ex. RPGs). Ignore multi-platform titles as those are a wash. Look at your first party stuff that is exclusive to the platform.

10. Jonny_L

Jonny_L Stunt Coordinator

I would say get an XBOX now, as it does HDTV and has a tonne of custom mods you can do to it. BUT, in the long term in a year or so the Playstation 3 is supposed to come out complete with blu-ray playback and by just about all insider accounts its gonna blow the Xbox 2 out of the water.

11. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

The PS2 has the EyeToy, which is a really fun party game - and you get a good exercise workout too!

But I love my xbox because I like many of the games - Halo, Halo 2, Star Wars: Battlefront, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, DOA Ultimate, Soul Caliber, etc.

I might pick up a PS2 just for the Eyetoy...the XBOX lacks in good party games I find. [​IMG]

12. Ken Chui

Ken Chui Supporting Actor

"Go for it", I say. I have an EyeToy and it's a lot of fun, especially when entertaining company. There are a lot more software titles that utilize the EyeToy's capability than when I bought it at launch. I would recommend the EyeToy: Antigrav bundle, as you can pick up the ET: Groove game separately (was on sale last month for < $10 at EB, but it's back to $25 now).

13. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Cameron Yee

There is nothing inside the pack that allows HD; it's just a breakout box, so in that sense it's poorly designed compared to the Monster Gamelink 400. The last bit of news I heard though, is the breakout box design is getting phased out and going to one very similar to Monster. REad more here:

http://www.lcvg.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=5329

14. Romier S

Romier S Producer

15. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Thanks for the heads up Ken on the Eyetoy Antigrav! I hope that is available up here in Canada....

16. Rodrick

Rodrick Second Unit

Yes EyeToy is available in Canada. Buy the Top loader PS2.

I even enjoy it enough to buy a Ps2 myself.

17. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

I know the Eyetoy can be had in Canada...I bought one for my sister last year. [​IMG]

What about the Eyetoy Antigrav?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it on the www.futureshop.ca site! Cool!

18. Bill Blank

So I might as well get the Monster Gamelink 400 and an optical cable. I need the Monster over the Microsoft because it's a longer length (10' which I need, compared to 6')

Thanks for the info!