What's new

Help with decision between 65in mitsubishi and toshiba (1 Viewer)

Jordan Weaver

Auditioning
I will have to get my TV from Best Buy, because I can put it on my card (they are offering no interest financing till 01/04, expiring saturday). Since it must be from Best Buy, my options are limited. I'm looking at the Mitsubishi WS-A65 and the Toshiba 65H82.

After reading other posts, I have become concerned with the features of the BB exclusive Mitsu. I read it was a stripped down version of another Mitsu. How important are the features that are missing from the BB version?

I am also concerned with the upconversion of the Toshiba. I understand that this can diminish quality. If so, by how much? Is the upconversion done on pro scan dvd sources or just analog?

I visited BB and saw the Mitsu. The picture looked great, but there wasn't a Toshiba to compare with. I don't know if both will be available for purchase this week. Does anyone have either of these or researched and have an opinion as to which is better? I don't think that I would be unhappy with either (pending no problems), but would like to get the better TV if my decision isn't made for me i.e. out of stock.

For the record, my main focus is DVD. I will watch cable as well, but cable quality needs only to be good, not great. I have a pro scan player, and have been waiting to get an HDTV to reap the benefits. I plan on purchasing on Saturday. I would appreciate any thoughts on either model or the comparison between the two.
Thanks

WillieM

Stunt Coordinator
In general, the Mitsu is usually more expensive than the Toshiba, but you don't mention this as a factor so I guess it isn't an issue. I can give praise to the Toshiba picture. A set properly calibrated by an IFS certified technician is a dream. Calibration usually costs about $250-$350.

Juan_R

Supporting Actor
I would go with the Toshiba as the 65H82 is not a striped down model like the Mits. The upconversion has only gotten better but I doubt you will ever see the difference.

Chet Hayes

Agent
I'd go with the Toshiba and also consider the HX series. The HX is a step up and has DVI/HDCP built in, the H is DVI/DHCP upgradable at some point in the future with a service call.

Mitsubishi does not have DVI nor stated any plans to support it. I think it doesn't make sense to buy a new HDTV today without knowing you can get to DVI. The Toshiba upgrade might offer some advantages, as you don't need it yet and by the time you do, the upgrade route might give you some advantages that today's interface doesn't have.

I'd also check out Onecall as I think they are offering free financing on Toshiba.

Jim FC

Stunt Coordinator
Jprdan,
All Mitsu dealers should be offering Mitsu's January 2004 no interest/no pay financing right now through Sept 16, so there's no good reason to shop at BB if you want a Mitsubishi. The features that the BB Mitsus are missing are signifigant: they lack the ability to turn off the Velicity Scan Modulation (artificial edge enhancement), they lack Mitsu's contrast-improving screen protector, and most importantly they lack the "color balance" feature, which allows you to adjust the levels each of six colors independently, giving you an easy way to reduce the dreaded "red push." To top it off, the BB Mitsus that lack all these features cost the same amount as the standard-line Mitsus that have these features. Why buy the stripped-down version when you can have the full-fledged version for the same price, and get better service to boot?

Chet is only half right when he says "Mitsubishi does not have DVI nor stated any plans to support it." Mitsubishi does not support DVI and they have good reasons not to, but that's another debate. What they do have, though, is a promise put in writing that their TVs are upgradeable for whatever HD format might come down the road. This includes DVI, should it become a necessity (which is far from a decided fact, I assure you).

Toshibas do look good, but I can tell you that you won't find a more reliable TV than the Mistubishi, and it looks great to boot. I'd find yourself an actual Mitsubishi dealer and see what you think.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks