Help with DD 2.0 on H/K 520

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Thomas_Berg, Mar 9, 2003.

1. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    i've own my H/K '520 since November and have had zero problems with it. i love it to death!

however, i just can't seem to figure out how to make it output straight 2.0 DD (for watching director's commentaries, etc). on the OSD, i have it setup for 5.1 DD (it wouldnt let me select stereo). when it switches on the DVD from the normal DD 5.1 track to the commentary 2.0 track, the 520 kicks in PL2 and decides to utilize all 5.1 speakers against my wishes. closest i can get is to use 'VMAx near' mode to get it to output to only the two L/R speakers (it uses a crappy DSP though).

when there's a 2.0 signal, all i want is for it to output the straight DD signal through the L/R channels only! how can i do this?

2. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

Thomas,

I can imagine that if you are in DD5.1 playback you wouldn't be able to set the receiver to stereo, but are you saying that once DPL II shows up for the DD2.0 playback you can't switch it to stereo?

Michael

3. Jason GT

Jason GT Second Unit

I have never tried this on my 320, but... have you attempted cycling through your dolby modes ("Dolby" button) instead of hitting the "stereo" button? I think the receiver cycles through dolby digital and the various flavours of PL II, and that is the path to get to 2.0 DD.

4. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    Michael- that's what i'm saying. it wont get off the PL2 DSP and playback straight DD2.0

Jason- yes, i've tried that. it switches between PL2 music, PL2 movie, and another form of PL2 with no option for DD2.0.

can any other 520 owners here give this a try? maybe i have a defective unit?

5. Doug Brewster

Doug Brewster Second Unit

Thomas_Berg,

What I have to do is make the adjustment at another level. You can make the change by punching the AVR button, the OSD button and changing at that level. If you are connected from the DVD player by coaxial connection, then it probably won't change to stereo, Logic7, etc. in DVD mode unless you also have analog connections and enter it from the OSD.

What I ended up doing (finally) was to run analog outs from the DVD player (in addition to the coaxial out to the 520's DVD "in") to the CD "in" on my 520. Next, I programmed the remote so that the CD player is also a DVD player and then entered the code for my Toshiba. Now, when I have a non-Dolby Digital/DTS movie, I can watch it in Logic7 (etc.)with the touch of a button. Also works well for listening to CD's.

To clarify:

1) Run Coaxial connection (or Optical cable) from the proper DVD player output to the proper 520 DVD input.
    2) Run Analog (right and left channel) outputs from the DVD player to the 520 CD right and left channel inputs.
    3) Program the remote so that the CD Player is a DVD Player and program in the proper code for your DVD player. (This gives you 2 DVD players on the remote. The manual explains how to do all this).*
    4) Push the CD button to watch DVD's that haven't a DD or DTS track. You can then chose a mode for watching these (stereo, DPLII, Logic7, etc.) by pushing the AVR button and the corresponding processor button (or by going to OSD and making the change there). The receiver will recall this mode when the CD button is pushed in the future.

It isn't really as complicated as it sounds. I don't know of another way around it, but there may be.

Doug

* 1-3 will also work for any input button other an AVR (i.e. TAPE, VID 1, 2, 3, 4). If you have one of these buttons free, then you can use it to connect the Right and Left channel outs from the DVD Player.

6. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    Doug- yeah, what i've been doing recently is just turning the receiver to the 6-ch input (since my DVD player also decodes DVD-A) and playing it back that way. it's kind of a nuisance to do, and it's outright silly that H/K doesnt let you play DD2.0 in its discrete form. [​IMG]

7. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

I have the 500 (old but still a good model), doesn't the fact that the HK won't play straight DD 2.0 (l/r) is subject to what is available on the disc itself. I recall most commentaries are in DPL and actually not DD. On the 500 it reads DD 2.0 S=sub. The only way I think we know if those tracks are in Dolby Digital 2.0 is when we play it and therefore if it's not available then he HK plays the closest track which would be Dolby Surround. If I'm wrong then I apologize, but that's how I remember most Commentaries.

8. Jim J

Jim J Second Unit

It may not be a H/K thing. It may be a dolby thing.
    I have a post over at HTSpot that deals with this issue.

Many people, myself included, have a problem with the 520 where if you have a menu that runs in DD2.0, then you start the movie, the unit stays in 2 channel mode, we lost center, and surrounds, and sub. The 'fix' from H/K was to set the unit to DPLII when playing a DD2.0 source, then when 5.1 kicks in, everything works fine.

Maybe you have a later production unit with 'upgraded' firmware.

9. Doug Brewster

Doug Brewster Second Unit

All i know is that I absolutely agree with this:

"it's kind of a nuisance"

Doug

10. GregLee

GregLee Stunt Coordinator

This constraint is not "a Dolby thing". I have no problem defeating ProLogicII decoding of DD 2.0 signals on my Kenwood VR-6070.

11. Phil*K

Phil*K Stunt Coordinator

It's not a DD thing. Yamahas can play stereo from DD 2.0 and DD 5.1 and DTS 5.1/6.1. I quess HK decided that everyone listening to DD wanted 5.1.

12. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    yeah it's totally dumb [​IMG]

13. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer
    Supporter

Carl III
    I have a late model HK receiver (avr 75) and it's just the opposite. If I feed it a digital signal DSPs can't be used. A stereo signal can't be played thru pro logic or any other setting. Not being able to use DSPs is a minor inconvenience (99% of the time i'd just play the signal without DSPs anyway) but being forced into pro logic would be even worse.