What's new

Help with dart board (1 Viewer)

Eric_L

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric
In my man-cave I have hung a dart board at the proper heights. The board is a horsehair board which has been adapted for use with steel or soft-tip darts.
I have only tried playing once. I threw my soft tip darts at it. Most would stick, but about 1/5 times one would fall. It would hit the hard concrete floor below and break the tip. You can imagine how many tips I would go through in a game.

So then I tried a steel tipped dart.. They also would fall, but when it hit the ground the plastic around the flight broke.. DOH!!!

So I have a problem. Maybe my dartboard is shit. But also, falling darts are inevitable; what can I do to protect my investments? I have considered a small rug, but I am not sure that'll do it. I've considered a small table or shelf too... I thought maybe I'd see if anyone here has had similar problems.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
If your steel tipped darts aren't sticking I'd say it's probably a crappy board. Not that I'm any sort of expert - we just have a plastic tip dartboard.

Throwing a square of carpeting under the board should do it.

Perhaps there's some sort of break-in routine that needs to be done; to loosen the horsehair?

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
I don't think carpet will do much of anything, the pointy dart will go right through the jute. How about one of those clear acrylic things they use for desk chairs on a wooden floor? Or maybe a couple of sections of wood laminate (so it looks like the floor, just a 1/8" thicker).

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
We have a soft tip electronic board in our basement, which has vinyl tile over a cement floor. A small rug would probably not be enough, as the darts will bounce quite a way at times. There is also a cabinet right below the board, but that doesn't help much , either.

I just keep a supply of extra tips and flights -- they are not very expensive if purchased in bulk online. A few dollars will get you a large bag of soft tips that will last a long time.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
When I had mine set up I put down those jigsaw kid foam play pad things under it. You can get non-kiddy ones without the roads on it from martial arts or gym supply stores I think.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Just put another dart board on the floor below the one on the wall.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Yeah, you can buy those "jigsaw" squares at Lowe's, Sears, Academy. I've seen them at all three. Pretty cool stuff. In the meantime, things could be worse than a broken tip. You could be the guy with the beard:

Posted after being alerted to it by TonyD! Is that bearded guy Peggy?

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Greg_S_H said:
Yeah, you can buy those "jigsaw" squares at Lowe's, Sears, Academy. I've seen them at all three. Pretty cool stuff. In the meantime, things could be worse than a broken tip. You could be the guy with the beard:

Posted after being alerted to it by TonyD! Is that bearded guy Peggy?
Wait, What?

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I am by no means a darts expert, but I also have a dartboard in my man cave. I'm going for the sports bar theme down there and it's one of the MLB team cabinets which come with a fairly decent playing board. It's not my first board and it's OK; good, not great.

It is my experience that it's fairly impossible to get a board that completely eliminates the "pop-out" problem, particularly around the bullseye. In my basement, the darts will pop out and hit the ground about two or three times in the course of a typical two player game of cricket. That's probably 1/20th as often as on your board, but it still happens. I think you need to somehow treat the floor. I use standard cheapo steel tip darts in my house.

BTW do NOT throw harder! If you're throwing darts properly you should not be throwing them hard. There should be a good arc in your throw and the darts should snick right into the board.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I don't know from dart boards (but I've got a quality one, unopened, in a closet awaiting a finished basement one day in the far future...)

But as others said, I'd think some cheap corkboard, foam mats, plywood, or such would provide a safe landing zone for errant darts.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks