Help With Crossover Frequency

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MikeDierbeck, Apr 16, 2002.

1. MikeDierbeck

MikeDierbeck Agent

Hello, I am a first time poster on here. You guys have already helped me so much, and I really appreciate it. A lot of people have had the same questions that I have had, so it was nice to see them answered without me actually having to type it. However, I have run into sort of a problem.

I am not that new to Home Theater setups. However, I do not know what to set my crossover frequencies to.

My Center Speaker is a JBL S-CENTER. I think the frequency is 80hz to 20,000hz

My receier is a SONY STR-DE975. I'm not sure what the frequency, but from the book, it looks like the minimum is 40hz...could this be true?

I don't know what the frequency is for my left and right front main speakers, but they are big tower JBL ones. They were pretty expensive and can handle a lot of power, so I don't know if that helps.

My rear speakers are BOSE ones, once again, they are pretty expensive, as is my subwoofer. I cant' find the manuals to these things, but the subwoofer did cost me a lot. I know this doesn't help much, but at least you know that they ARE high quality ones, and maybe you can assist me.

On my receiver, I have my LFE set to 0dB, which is the highest it can go.

My question now is what to set for the following functions. Right now the default is:

FRONT SP CROSSOVER > STD (which is between 110 and 130)

CENTER SP CROSSOVER > STD (between 110 and 130)

SURROUND SP CROSSOVER > STD (between 110 and 130)

LFE HIGH CUT FILTER > STD (between 110 and 130)

I don't really like the sound from my speakers, and my AVIA should be arriving via UPS any second now as I type, so I will have it fully calibrated and my speakers I switched to SMALL, because I read on this board that it is better this way.

Also, the STR-DE975 set me back $500 and I want some better quality sound than what I have. I have everything else to ensure that it sounds good (progressive scan DVD player, HDTV).

Should I be using my built in EQ? I keep turning the treble way up and the bass frequency up a tad to get better sounding vocals, but it still sounds kind of "strange." I think the EQ is doing more harm than good. Maybe the AVIA settings and some correct crossover settings are just what I need and I can turn off the EQ function?

Anyways, if I do use the EQ, is there a special way of getting that deep, clear dialogue like the movie theaters? Or should I just skip the EQ all together?

I know this is a lot, but I think after this, I will finally be satisfied with my set up. So, if you could help me with the crossover settings and the EQ question, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you

Mike Dierbeck

2. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

Welcome to HTF Mike!

FYI:

- HT Speakers four JBL S26, JBL S-Center & SVS 25-31PCi

- My Yamaha RX-V995 AV Receiver has a fixed 90 Hz x-over.

- I bypassed the Tone Controls (turned off)

3. MikeDierbeck

MikeDierbeck Agent

Hello-

Thanks for the advice. I did everything you said. I put everything at 80Hz and did not use the EQ.

I like all of the sound, except for dialogue. It didn't sound clear, clean, or... fresh.

It sounded like everybody had kind of a cold, or spoke in monotone. Is there anything I should do?

Thanks

Mike

4. Harold_C

Harold_C Stunt Coordinator

5. MikeDierbeck

MikeDierbeck Agent

Hi

Yeah, I've done the calibrating part. All of the speakers are set at 85dB, and the sub is at about 87dB.

I've done the distance arrangement and it all seems accurate. It's just that dialogue that doesn't as good as it did when I used to have the EQ running.

Also, should I set the same crossover frequency for all of the speakers, even the category: LFE HIGH CUT FILTER? Would it be wiser to have a frequency of 80Hz or 100Hz?

Thanks

Mike

6. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

7. MikeDierbeck

MikeDierbeck Agent

When I turn the EQ on, I can control the settings for the Front, Center, Surround, and Subwoofer separately.

For the Center functions, they are these defaults

Center Bass: 0dB

Center Bass Frequency: 250Hz

Center Mid: 0dB

Center Mid Frequency: (unknown at the moment, but I don't touch this funtion)

Center Treble: 0dB

Center Treble Frequency: 2.5Khz

Before everything was calibrated properly, I think I used to have the Center Bass at 1dB, and I upped the Center Bass Frequency to 314Hz (it goes 250, 280, 314, 393, etc)

I think I had the Treble up to it's highest dB of 6dB, but I didn't touch the Center Treble Frequency.

Does anybody know what makes dialogue sound powerful, yet clear? Is it the treble that adds to it, or is is the bass and treble combined, just the Bass Frequency, etc?

Thank you

Mike