What's new

Help with Crimson Skies I keep getting bad disc error (1 Viewer)

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Ok so right when I am going to Arizona to look for the titanium mine when i try tostart the missn I get an error saying the disc is damaged or dirty. Its not dirty and this si the second brand new disc i ahve tried, same error in the same place.

can anyone help?

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Try loading three different games in the Xbox, then try Crimson Skies again. The Xbox stores temp files for the last three games played, so this will remove any Crimson Skies related temp files. If the error is related to a corrupted temp file, this will clear it up.

If it doesn't, you probably are in for a bit of work - it could be related to the drive. In this case, you either get MS to replace it for you, you buy a new Xbox, or you can pull out the drive and adjust it (which isn't too bad, but it takes a while & you need some tools).

-Dave

John-Miles

Screenwriter
The drive has a slot and holes.

I got my Xbox two days ago :frowning: which is good and bad really cause its still under warrantybad cause its brand new. Luckily i actually have 3 other games :) so i will try what you suggest dave.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
damnit, now im getting dirty disc erros when i try to start Crimson skies and when i try to play Knights of the old republic.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
My guess is it's the drive, but since you only got the xbox two days ago, why don't you just exchange the xbox from the store you got it at? Check out the "Video Game Hardware" forum here, there's a post in there which has pictures of the three different type of DVD drives that you can tell by looking at the tray. I can't imagine that if you bought an X-box now you'd get one of those crappy Toshiba drives but you might want to check that out for reference when/if you decide to exchange your xbox.

I've never had a DDE when playing CS and I have one of those Toshiba drive Xboxs..

Jay

John-Miles

Screenwriter
how much good will returning it do? fromw hat ive read in other threads it may be a problem with the drive? what if i get the same drive agian?

Evan M

Second Unit
Returning it at the very least will give you another shot at getting a better drive. It could just be a fluke mechanical thing.

And considering you just bought it, that's a much more user friendly option than trying to pay to have it fixed.

Bill Griffith

Supporting Actor
I've been having a really strange set of problems lately.

I've had My Xbox since about 2 months after they came out. I have never had a bad disk read error or any other problem with any game. I get on Xbox lIve and Play UNreal and Midtown Madness 3 and never have any conection problems or disk problems with them either. I get crimson skies and have all sorts of problems with getting booted off Xbox live and a bad disk error coming up when playing both on and off line. I get PGR2 and I don't get any bad disk errors but it will just conitually load a page and freeze the system so all I can do is turn it off and back on. I also have been having online problems playing this game as well, it keeps booting off of live in the middle of races or typically right after a race ends.

My other games work just fine and have never had these problems before. I use it to watch DVD's as well, and I watch alot of movies throughout the week and have never had a single problem on that end.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
That sucks Bill. :frowning:

I have one of the launch XBoxes with the dreaded Thompson DVD drive. It failed after I bought and played SW:KOTOR for 40 hours. I had to buy a new XBox and swapped the drive.

I bought a new XBox anyways because my old one's ethernet port is also broken...geez I sure got screwed by buying an XBox early!

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
According to MS Tech support, all of the xboxes are the same!!! At least that's what they told me when I tried to tell them my Xbox is having DDE problems. Doesn't instill confidence on my part for MS and MS tech support. They also never wanted to acknowledge some folks getting their xboxes replaced for free even if they were out of warentee. It's like they think that the internet doesn't exist or we're too stupid to talk to other owners who had their xboxes replaced. :angry:

Jay

John-Miles

Screenwriter
Well i returned my xbox to EB and now im trying to get this darned Live working.... grrrr once this headache is all done it better be worth it :D

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
I think that part of the problem with the Thompson drives is that they are poorly calibrated. I tweaked my drive with 3 other guys from work, and all of ours had widely different readings from the pot on the drive.

-Dave

JamesH

Supporting Actor
Dave, do you have any links to sites that show how to calibrate the drive? I've already got my Xbox cracked open to clean off the laser lens but it did no good. I might as well try something else with it before I have to buy a new one.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks