What's new

Help with connecting video/audio for new Cable HD Box (1 Viewer)

Steven_ R

Agent
1. I continue to have problems connecting my new Comcast HD Digital Cable Box. The component video outputs are plugged into the component inputs on video 5 of my Sony 61HS10. I have plugged the composite video output into Video 4. This setup keeps me from having to change the cable box menu from 1080i to 480i when I want to watch a non-HD program, plus the non-HD material looks much better through the composite cable into Video 4 than it does using the component cables into Video 5. However, I just discovered that the digital cable menu and guides do not appear through the composite output, even though the program is displayed fine. That is, if I turn on the digital cable, and activate the menu, I get both the program and the menu on Video 5 (via the component cables), but on Video 4, I only see the program and not the menu or program guide. It appears as if the cable box only has the ability to send the menu/guide out through the component outputs or perhaps the component outputs override the output through the composite output. How do other members of this board handle this type of issue with either satellite or other cable systems? I looked on the cable box menu to see if there is a setting I can change, but no luck. I have yet to try the S-Video output from the cable box, and maybe that will display the menu/guide at the same time as the component output.

2. Also, and closely related, what about the audio output? For now, I'm only using an optical cable output from the cable box, but it seems like the sound isn't always in sync with the picture on non-HD material. I tried connecting to the receiver with the RCA type audio plugs, but that does not bypass the digital sound output of the HD box. Ideally, I'd like to be switch between HD sound and video and non-HD sound and video as easily as possible.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Steve

Stefan A

Second Unit
I don't think I can be much help since you use a different box than me. The guide works fine through the rf coaxle input. I have rca audio output going directly to the TV. I also have a digital coaxle output going to my receiver. So, the 2 decisions I have to make is if I want to use the receiver or the tv for sound. And, which video input I want. It is not too complicated, although it would be nice if everything worked perfectly one way.

Perhaps getting a good universal/learning remote with macros would make the job for you quicker. Or request that comcast give you the Scientific Atlanta 3100 HD box.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks