What's new

help with connecting two centre speakers (1 Viewer)

randyPar

Auditioning
Hello,
In my new installation, because of the location of the screen and studds in the wall, i have to install two inwall speakers.

My questions is how is the best way to hook them to the reciever. They are both 8ohm.
1) do i just run two cables to the reciever and connect them in parrell?
2) do i run one cable to the other speaker, connect them in parrell and run back to the reciever
3) do i need some sort of components to do this?

Thanks
Randy

John S

Senior HTF Member
You can run them in parallel.

Which ever is easier, jumper one speaker to the other and then one connection back to the AVR, or run a connection from each speaker back to the AVR and parallel them there.

Electrically there isn't any difference. Never tried in-walls just for the center. Let us know how you like that, I avoid it like the plague on the front L/R Mains. But on the center, it could work out.

randyPar

Auditioning
here is what someone else suggest
what do you think
==============================================
Well, your best bet is using another amp for the 2nd speaker. But, if you don't want to do that.

#1 Connect the positive from your amp to one speaker.
#2 Connect the negative from your amp to the other speaker.
#3 Last, connect the negative of the #1 speaker to the positive of the #2 speaker.

This will make your speakers run at 16ohms. It is much easyer on your amp.

DaveHo

Supporting Actor
The correct answer depends on your amp. Will it handle a 4 ohm load? If not connect them in series:

Amp+ -> S1+, S1- -> S2+, S2- -> Amp-

If it will, connect them in parallel

Amp+ -> S1&S2+, Amp- -> S1&S2-

The safe bet is to connect them in series, although you will lose a bit of amp headroom that way. You could also use a speaker switcher which would protect against too low of an impedance.

-Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks