What's new

Help with computer to receiver (1 Viewer)

aevarga

Auditioning
Real Name
Alan
I would like to connect my kids' computer to a home theater system which is already set up to handle 3 game systems and a DVD player. I have ordered parts and installed some, but I need a sanity check to find out if I'm trying to do something that can't be done.

I have a Turtle Beach Riviera sound card with a Toslink port (among others), and a Yamaha HTR6030 receiver with two Toslink ports, one for my DVD player and one for the computer. The DVD player works fine. The Riviera control panel has options for outputting 44.1MHz and 48MHz signals through the Toslink port, and the receiver registers receiving a PCM signal. I can't find any settings in the receiver's CD menu pertaining to 44.1MHz, 48MHz, PCM or raw signals.

When I successfully connected the DVD player to the receiver, there were settings in the DVD menu that I could adjust. On the sound card, I have only the two settings I mentioned or "off", which would send the signal to the analog port for desktop speakers. The computer has a simple CD-ROM drive, which I don't plan to use with the receiver. What I DO want to do is send ANY output from ANY media player from the computer to the receiver, whether it's a streaming video file from YouTube, a WMP movie clip or an MP3 music file. I realize these won't necessarily be 5.1 sound signals, but even 2.0 would be fine.

I will also be installing an AGP video card with a DVI port to send the picture signal to the HDMI port on the back of the LG LCD TV. When I'm done, I want my kids and their friends to be able to play any of the game systems, or watch and listen to a DVD or something off the Internet using the TV and the receiver.

-----

With that background, does anyone have experience connecting a Turtle Beach sound card to a Yamaha receiver? Any suggestions for where to look for settings?

Thanks, Alan

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Welcome to the Forum, Alan!

That’s what it should register. Any set up should be with the soundcard menu; the receiver will decode whatever it gets.

If you aren’t getting any audio from the soundcard, perhaps its because the Toslink port (on the receiver) has not been assigned to a particular input. That you’ll find in the receiver’s menu. Assign the port to “AUX,” “VIDEO 2,” or whatever input you want to be designated for the soundcard.

Regards.
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

aevarga

Auditioning
Real Name
Alan
Thanks for your suggestion, Wayne. I thought I looked at that already, but maybe not. I did get sound through the receiver last night without doing anything special, but there's a story behind that.

After talking to my son, it's also possible that when he turns off the receiver his headphones headphones are still plugged in, and then he unplugs. So the next time I turn on the receiver, it remembers that headphones were in use the last time it was on, rather than sensing current conditions and defaulting to the SpkrA primary front speakers.

Caveats:
1) Is the power cord plugged into the wall?
2) Are all of the other cords plugged in and not loose?
3) Is everything turned on?
4) Are ALL of the settings correct?

Well, I'm almost there. I' waiting for my DVI to HDMI cable, and I have to install the new video card. Maybe that will happen this weekend, but more likely during next week.

Thanks again for your advice; I'll be back with more questions later.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks