What's new

Help with component video cable upto a 50 Foot length?? (1 Viewer)

John_Fasheh

Auditioning
I just finished installing my new DLP Projector. In order to connect it to my DVD Player, and actually hide the cable, I need a length equal to 48.25 feet. Is it possible to use one of this length without any signal loss?
I attempted it with S-Video, I get a tremendous amount of signal loss. The picture looks terrible. I have also tried a shorter component video, and the picture is perfect.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
By the way, how do other people actually connect video projectors to their DVD players?

Chad B

Stunt Coordinator
John,

I had the same experience with a 100 foot s-video cable- terrible picture. S-video cables, especially cheaper ones, use very thin gauge wire, because they have to fit 2 coaxial cables side by side in one jacket (4 conductors total). I know thickness by itself is usually not an indicator of quality, but in this case it does play an important role. One notable exception that I know of (there may be others) is the Monster Cable M1000 silver s-video cable- it's about a half inch thick and has very little loss even out past 100 feet.
A component cable is 3 coax wires, and since it's not trying to cram it all into one small outer jacket, it has room to be much higher quality. Many good component cables are comparable to 3 runs of RG-59, which wouldn't have noticeable loss at 50 feet. I've even heard of some custom component cables being made of 3 runs of RG-6, which has even less loss.
I believe you could run a 50 foot component cable, and (as long as it's not one of the thin, really cheap ones) get very good results.

Chad

mark alan

Supporting Actor
The easiest way to get long component cables is to make them. Get rg6 coax cable, a cable stripper and F-RCA adaptors. You can make the cables in about 15 minutes.

All materials are available at radio shack, or home depot/lowes.

You end up with cables which are much higher quality than you could buy at 20 times the price.

John_Fasheh

Auditioning
;) Thanks for the input. You guys are great!
I have been considering making my own cables, using the RG6 Cable/RCA ends. That way I can make them to the exact length.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
I recently made my own 35' component cables out of RG6 and they work great......

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
Where can I find the website where someone made component cables by braiding some kind of network cable? I tried a search, but came up with nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks