What's new

Help With Christmas Present (1 Viewer)

Kelpie

Auditioning
Real Name
Amber
Currently my father is having issues with his Onkyo TX-SR503 just not being good enough. He likes sports, and sometimes he has the volume up loud to rock out with ACDC or Kiss.. However, it seems to just shut off at volume level 30 after so long of it blasting away. It's not even loud at this volume level.

I have a decent understanding of the technical stuff with sound, because I'm into music production. I use my own music to get the real idea of how things sound, and then I also look at the specifications, including Frequency response, SNR, and other things as well. However, a home theatre system is not in my league of knowledge.

I need help finding the best Christmas present for my dad. I currently have $500 saved up right now, and need to know where to be at with money on getting him one that is better than his Onkyo TX-SR503. I plan on looking at reviews (Which I did on his current system, and found it being notorious to overheating and shutting off.), looking at the specifications, and finally, once I get the system, testing it out to make sure nothing happens, and the specifications are truly what it's cracked up to be (You can have something that has a frequency response of 20Kh-100Khz, but it could have issues with it not happening all the time, and frequencies blending, instead of being separate from each other).

Any suggestions?

Kelpie

Auditioning
Real Name
Amber
Oh yeah, and it would be a big plus to have something easier to understand and use, we currently have the most crappiest manual with his system and it's not allowing us to use his speakers in the back of our living room. It's only supplying sound to the three front speakers, and it's not really surround sound without the sound being supplied to all 5 speakers!

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Sounds like either something is wrong with it, it isn't setup properly or there are some frayed speaker wires touching each other. Also, make sure the speakers aren't 4 ohm or less.

As far as what to replace it with, I figured you've soured on Onkyo and reliability is at the top of the list so I'd go with Denon or Pioneer. But first, is there a BluRay player in the mix? If so, I'm liking the Pioneer 1018 more and more. The 90txh is also a possibility.

If there's no BluRay then look at last years models on closeout like the Denon 2308/888. Check pricegrabber.com for prices and make sure you buy from an authorized dealer.

Kelpie

Auditioning
Real Name
Amber
I really like the look of that Denon 2308. It is very nice looking, it doesn't have a whole lot of buttons that are space consuming and just confusing. It has nice clean lines (But of course this is for my dad, and not me). It has all that he would need, and it looks like it would be very easy to figure out, unlike the Onkyo system we have, were the manual didn't touch all bases, and we're stuck with someone pushing some button down the line and making our back speakers not work anymore. I figured before I move, I get him something that is louder, but able to handle louder (no distortion!), has a good quality of sound, and is going to be reliable. I hate being around loud sounds, so I was going to wait for this perfect opportunity. :P

craig_curtis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Craig
Denon manuals are notoriously poorly written, and not the most consumer friendly as far as being easy to figure out. That said, they sound great, and (so far) mine has been a great performer... (I have the old 1803... upgrading soon though to another denon!)

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Just be aware that the problems you list are most often user error. So, odds are a new receiver will have the same problems unless it is set up properly, and the current one would not have them if set up properly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hickskeith007
Recent bookmarks