Help with choosing correct DefTech for new HT

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Praful Patel, Jan 20, 2003.

1. Praful Patel

Praful Patel Auditioning

Sep 1, 2002
    I am building a new house and Because of space limitations I cannot use the bp2000's. Therefore I have decided to go with the PowerMonitor 900's for Front L & R and CLR 2300 or 2500 for center. I will use them for Movies 70%/Music 30%. Will have a 65" Mits Diamond with Sony ES Reciever.

Two questions:

1. I want to add an SVS sub to handle LFE signals for Movies and I was wondering if that would make too much base (esp for Music)?

2. I am setting up a 7.1 system with wiring in place already and wanted to use 2 BPX on sides but I am concerned about bipolars used for the two in the back. Aren't the backs supposed to be unidirectional for DTS ES??

Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!
  2. Kris Coffin

Kris Coffin Stunt Coordinator

Jun 19, 2002
    I am currently using the pb200's for my fronts and the clr300 for the center. Personally I would recommend an additional sub for the system. Knowing what I know now, I would have opted for unpowered speakers, and spent the cash on a dedicated sub. Def Tech has a nasty habit of schewing there freq ratings for how low you can go with their powered speakers.

As far as the rars go, I also have the BPVX/p's, I find them amazing for the sound-stage created in the rear. The bipolars make it incredibly large. The only issue I had with them again, was the bass response. I have actually turned off the powered woofers in them as they kept bottoming in movie like lotr and aotc.

Planning in the recent future to pick up a SVS, don't think you will have any issue with too much bass. IMHO.

Hope this helps