What's new

help with choosing a recv less than $500 (1 Viewer)

Marshall Alsup

Second Unit
I've looked over several of the latest posts and I'm a bit confused. I'm going to buy a new reciever in about a month and I was originally going to get a sony DE945. I wanted this reciever mainly for HT, not so much for music, although sometimes I play some metal... Anyway, Do you guys think this reciever is OK? I get the impression that perhaps Sony lacks sound quality compared to other brands like HK, Onkyo, or Denon. Is this the case? Also, when I look at recievers from these manufactures in this pricerange they usually have significanly less power. I read in another thread that they are rated differently and would probably preform just as well. Is that true? Do you guys think a Onkyo rated at 60 or 70 WPC would be about as loud as a sony rated at 110? Thanks for taking the time to help out a new guy.
Some of the others I'm thinking over are
Denon AVR-1801
Onkyo TX-DS595
Yamaha RX-V596
Thanks,
Marshall

Marshall,
Between the three receivers you have listed in your post I would go with the Onkyo 595. JandR has this particular receiver for $359. The Denon 1801 is a nice receiver but I believe the Onkyo might be a better match for you because it has Pro Logic II which would make older movies on DVD (Dolby Surround) sound better. There have been some issues raised on whether the new Onkyos deliver the wattage they claim. I recently bought an Onkyo 696 which is rated at 100 watts per channel and can easily state that it does a much better job at delivering louder, cleaner sound than my old Kenwood receiver whic was also rated at 100 watts per channel. Does it deliver the 100 watts it claims? I don't know but I don't even like to listen to it all the way up or even close to all the way up. Also there really is very little difference in 70 watts versus 100 watts in overall decibel loudness. I would also suggest to go and listen to both the Denon and Onkyo receiver's because they have a different sound and you might prefer one over the other. Another receiver that you might want to check out is Outlaw's receiver. Don't be fooled by it's low rated power per channel as it is an excellent receiver and will provide enough power for you. www.outlawaudio.com
Hope this helps
[Edited last by Nathan Patrick on July 30, 2001 at 02:11 AM]

Chip E

Screenwriter
Outta the ones you listed... the Onkyo 595 is the one i'd buy. Like Nate said, for HT ya can't beat the inclusion of DPLII. Satellite, cable and old movies will benefit from it.
- Chip
------------------

RichardH

Supporting Actor
Look no further than the Onkyo 595. I put together a HT for a friend, and we could get any $500 receiver we wanted, and we settled on the Onkyo.
Here's why:
2 optical/ 2 coax Digital inputs
DPL II
turn on volume memory
max volume setting
Overall, it was the best receiver for the money. We actually got it for $400 shipped from OneCall. You should be able to get that same price.
Trust the people on this site, they know what they're talking about. The Onkyo is clearly the better choice over the Sony DE receiver, and I would chose it for myself. BTW, I've owned a Denon receiver previously, and while I was quite satisfied with it, I would definitely get the 595 if I was to get a receiver right now.
Sony makes some decent receivers, but those are the "DB" and "ES" lines, not the "DE". So, check out those if you really want Sony. Also, don't worry too much about wattage ratings. It's hard to compare apples to apples with the way that manufacturers give ratings.
I bet the Sony DE receivers are rated at 1 channel driven only at 1kHz, whereas the Onkyos and Denons are usually rated at all channels driven across the whole audio spectrum.
[Edited last by RichardH on July 30, 2001 at 06:16 AM]

Alex_S

Auditioning
I have a suggestion you may want to look into.
I was on a limited budget when building my HT. I found and purchased a Kenwood VR4080 on UBid for $369. I could'nt be happier with my purchase. For the quality, sound and options it was the best purchase I could have made. The only thing it lacks, is DPLII.
Last time I checked it was listed for $800 on Crutchfield.
Al

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Just a little above that price range would be the Marantz SR5200. You cannot go wrong with the sound quality and clean power for the price of a Marantz tuner. It will probably run nearer $600, but you will not regret spending thet extra money.
I'll say it again: your tuner is the backbone of your system. Buy your tuner based on sound and features, not price.
If you absolutely cannot swing the 5200, then the Onkyo 595 would be my choice for the price. (by the way, the 595 is listed at crazyeddie.com for $371...)
------------------
All progress is based upon a universal, inate desire on the part of every organism, to live beyond it's income.
ITRCA ** Honda/Acura Club ** Link Removed (sorry, car guy)
[Edited last by John Garcia on July 30, 2001 at 06:40 PM]

Marshall Alsup

Second Unit
Wow, you guys rule. THANKS for all the help.
I get the impression that the sony is not the way to go!
Can you guys recomend some online retailers. I've looked at Crutchfield.com but they have steep prices compared to others like Etronics.com but I know nothing about them (as far as reliability). I'm going to check out the other ones already mentioned in the thread.
When I actually get ready to buy I'll check out the way these different recievers sound locally, but I'll probably buy online because I'm on a budget and its so much cheaper.
Thanks,
Marshall

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
I love my Onkyo 595. people claim it's underpowered, but at 75wpc, it's got power to spare. the 595 will power your speakers better (and louder) at 75wpc than the Kenwood with 100wpc. heard both and liked the Onkyo better. i've been reading alot on this issue, as there've been lots of recent posts regarding it. this post explains alot...check it out .
i would choose the Marantz over them all (and about equal to the 595) but the price is higher. i bought the Onkyo for $359 at J&R , and that's my suggestion.
just my 2¢

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
I'll second the 595. I just got it hooked up this past weekend and even with the rears not mounted yet and one rear three feet higher then the other the whole thing sounded great! Of course, I've never heard an in-home surround system before so that probably has something to do with my awe! :) I also don't even have a subwoofer yet but I actually thought it sounded fine -- even on my dinky little JBL N24 fronts and surrounds. Of course, I'm hardly an audiophile so take my words with caution. I think I can do without a subwoofer until December though when I can ask for it for christmas because I've charged too much as it is and need to keep cash for my car payment!! Hehe, I had major consumer guilt going on for a few days there, but not after getting it hooked up and listening to it, the first battle in Gladiator is bliss
wink.gif

James D

Second Unit
http://www.hifi.com). They also offer a 30 day price protection and a 45 day no questions asked return policy including return shipping. I don't think that you can go wrong with Marantz receivers. I'm anxiously awaiting my 6200 and will post my thoughts on this receiver in the near future.

Okay, so i was all set on getting this setup
JBL NSP-1 5 speaker package
Sony SAWM40 Sub
Onkyo TX-DS595
I went to a local authorized Onkyo dealer to take a peak, even though I knew the speakers he had there would be way higher end than the ones i'm planning on getting. So he more carried the Infinity by Onkyo, which I guess is the same but with gold plated connecters and such so a little better quality. Now, he showed me the Marantz 5200 and I liked it very much. My main concern is movies and TV, and i've heard Marantz were better for music, but that is not a large concern of mine. I liked that it had onscreen display and also 6.1. Can anyone explain the 6.1/7.1 thing to me? I mean this just says 6.1 i think, it doesn't say DTS ES or DD ES 6.1 or 7.1 or anything or THX ES or whatever it is. I know they don't use THX so they don't have to pay licensing but does the 5200 have basically the same decoding ability? Also is it worth the extra for me to go from the Onkyo to the Marantz? I do like the remote on the Onkyo much better.....
Thanks guys...i'm a newbie and hopefully getting this system within the next month.

Marshall Alsup

Second Unit
Well, I looked into the Marantz 5200. It looks awesome. But I have to admit, being new to HT, I've never heard of Marantz. Do you guys think that Marantz is the s*it? It has all the features I want, but like I said, I dont know anyting about this company....I cannot buy for about another month so I wont be able to take advantage of the $50 off deal at HIFI.com but if its that good of a brand I can probably go a little over my budget for it. What do you think?
Thanks again for all the help,
Marshall

Marshall,
It all depends on what you can afford and are willing to spend. All the units mentioned are excellent units but have pluses and minuses. In my opinion get the one that has the best deal going, you are not going to be disappointed with any of the receivers mentioned.
My two cents: I believe the Onkyo 595 is the best bang for the buck right now. $359 is a great price for the features it has.
Hope this helps....

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Front A/V: I've never used it, and Marantz has it also (haven't seen many these days that don't, but I don't have a use for it).
Kenwood: The 501 looks like a good deal, especially with the THX "select" cert, but I still wouldn't buy it. I would buy a similar Sony before Kenwood, even without the THX. If you want THX Select, then the Onkyo DS787 would be the way to go, though it is in a different price class (around $900)
Marantz has been highly respected name in home audio for years. You likely haven't heard of them because they do not distribute through the average chain store, and are often only found at mid and higher end establishments.
I have been messing around with my Marantz SR6200 for the past few days, and I am very impressed with it. It does have some quirkiness, but the sound is smooth, clear and potent. CLEAN power is one key, good processing is another.
Someone mentioned that Marantz is better for music, and I can say that it does an incredible job with music, but DTS (incluing ES) movies sound spectacular too (though DD sounds a bit "off" to me). I don't think the 6200 or 5200 say discrete, but the 6200 has a powered 6th channel, and has a setting to enable/disable that channel, if you do not have a speaker for it. You can still use the 6.1 mode, and it will send the surround center information to the L/R surrounds.
I would tend to agree that this amp is more geared toward music than HT, but it does deliver for HT. I do about 60% HT and 40% music, and I think it certainly does the job.
icon14.gif

[Edited last by John Garcia on August 01, 2001 at 10:35 AM]

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
I wanted to second the recommendation for the Outlaw 1050. Definitely give it an audition!
My initial impression of the Outlaw was lukewarm; but during the last seven months, I have concluded that it is among the best mid-priced receivers around, and a nearly impossible value to beat. In fact, as I mention in my follow-up review on audioreview.com I had to spend nearly $1,000 more to "upgrade" from the 1050.
In my opinion, the 1050 is a better receiver than the Onkyo models mentioned. To me, the 1050 seems more solidly built. However, if you are willing to spend the additional money (more than $528 total: $499 plus ~$29 shipping), Marantz and Harman Kardon are worth considering alongside the Onkyo and the Outlaw.
For under $500, I recommend the Outlaw 1050. I just don't think it can be beat for that kind of money. (And I was originally a nay-sayer!) For over $700 to $900, continue to study the Onkyo; and look at the Marantz, or the Harman Kardon. There are more expensive receivers, of course, but in my opinion, $500 to $800 is more than enough for a quality, long-lasting receiver.
------------------
SAM

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks