What's new

Help with Center Channel Driver Choice (1 Viewer)

Several weeks ago I began construction of my first set of speakers. I already have the satellites finished and I will finish the sub in the next few days. The problem I'm having is finding drivers for my center that will match my system. A friend has built an identical set, which is what prompted me to build them, and they sound awesome. He is using some peerless 6.5inch shielded 4ohm drivers. I haven't been able to find what he used or anything similar. My satellites are 8 ohms so I was looking for 6.5inch 4-ohm shielded drivers to build a MTM center. How much performance would I lose if I built a 5th satellite as a center? I purchased an Onkyo SR500 to power my system so I would like the drivers to be able to handle 65W. The closest thing I have found is the Vifa TC14SG49-04. My funds require that I keep the cost of the drivers + crossover to under $100. I'm very new to the Home-Theater world so if I'm way off base please let me know. Thanks for the help.
Here are some photos of what I have already built.
66.49.35.157/speakers
Michael Trueblood
Cincinnati Ohio

Mark_E_Smith

Second Unit
Most people say you should use the same drivers that you used in the satellites to match the timber. Cant get your link to work. BTW the center channel is the most important speaker in a 5.1 system.

Carl Wilkerson

Auditioning
Mike,
Although you see a ton of them commercially as center channels, MTM designs were meant to be used vertically not horizontally to make a center channel. The reason they work vetically is that the way the sound from the two mid woofers adds results in a shaped sound field that focuses the sound forward and reduces reflections from floor and ceiling in the mid frequencies. When this design is laid over on it's side this results in a very narroww sweet spot and a different sounding speaker if you sit in another chair. THe reason you see them so much is that its a two way design and cheaper to make than a three way , and the shape fits well on top of a TV. If you want a two way , put the tweeter over the woofer.
A much better idea is this design by the guy that pioneered MTM designs in the first place - Joe D'Appolito. He doesn't use MTM's for center channels.
http://www.audax.com/doit/us_ht07.shtml
This is sold as a kit of parts by Madisound and others.
You're right on importance of the center channel - it is the most important speaker in HT - make it your best element.
Also in Cincinnati,
Carl Audax DIY Home Theater Center Channel

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OttoIsHere
Recent bookmarks