Help with center channel (Boston Acoustics)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Miles Abbey, Mar 20, 2002.

1. Miles Abbey

Miles Abbey Agent

Hello everyone. I'm new to hometheater forum and I have a delima. I recently purchased a pair of Boston Acoustics VR-M90s for my fronts. I'm currently using Boston VR12 for my center channel. Here is my delima... Should I buy a VRMC Boston for my center to match my fronts? I realize this would be a cosmetic improvement, but how about acoustics? I looked at the specs online and it looks like the vr12 has more bass, but I haven't had the privelage to audition these speakers. I live in a rural area where it is difficult to audition these speakers. I would appreciate your opinions and advice.

Thanks,

Miles

2. Geoff S

Geoff S Stunt Coordinator

The new Boston VRM series is designed to pair with the VR series just fine. Both are based on the lynfield VR tweeter, and are timbre matched. The VRMs are a little more accurate, so if you have the xtra $$$ go for them.

3. Patrick R. Sklenar

Patrick R. Sklenar Second Unit

Miles,
    Several years ago when I bought my VR-M50's, B.A. wasn't even talking about a center channel in the VR-M line. SO I bought a VR-12. For about two years it matches with my VR-M50's just fine. Then earlier this year, as I was preparing to move into a newly constructed house with a dedicated Home Theater on the lower level (it's a raised ranch), I decided that "cosmetics" would matter now. I therefore sold my VR-12 and bought the VR-MC ... even though I was a little nervous about the 'MC being so much smaller than the '12. Well, I needn't have worried. The VR-MC, even tho it's smaller, is easily the equal of and maybe even a bit superior to the VR-12 in sound quality.
    And it looks sooo much nicer. [​IMG]

4. John Dunlap

John Dunlap Stunt Coordinator

Have not heard the VR-12 but I have heard the VRM-C and it is superb. Only you can determine whether the difference in sound quality is worth the $$ but if it were me I'd probably go for the VRM-C. Maybe the dealer where you bought the VR-12 will give you a REALLY good deal on a trade in???

5. Vlad D

Vlad D Screenwriter

Vladimir Derenoncourt
    I also have not heard the VR-12, but I have the VR-MC and it does sound great. If money isn't an issue go for it.

6. Robb Roy

Robb Roy Supporting Actor

Miles Abbey,

I went the other way: I upgraded my center channel before I got the vr-m90s. I auditioned both of those side by side, and the vr-mc, while the specs weren't that much different, I thought it blew the vr-12 away.