What's new

help with ceiling speakers (1 Viewer)

emurl

Auditioning
Real Name
Ed Murl
I am just about to move into a new house that has been prewired for 5 ceiling speakers. The ceiling is 12 feet high. I have been looking at using Jamo 6.521A2 @ $150 with a Jamo SUB550 @ $400. Then I went to Monoprice for some wire etc and found their 6.5 kevlars (item 4103) for substantially less. This is my first HT and I do not have any experience with all of this new technology.

Has anyone an opinion on either of these choices or alternate suggestions? BTW, my wife does not want to look at any wires or speakers other than a sub so the ceiling speakers are the only way to go. Bit I might get away with a pair of bookshelf speakers if they were of any use.

I will be using a Denon AVR-888 7.1 100W, Sharp BD-HP21U blu-ray and a Sharp LCD. Any help would be appreciated.

headknocker

Agent
Real Name
Kevin
Yeah, the reviews on the Monoprice Kevlar line are intriguing. I have never heard them so I obviously can't give you another viewpoint to decipher the good reviews.

I bought a brand new pair of M&S WG 150W in-walls on ebay several months ago for a paltry $55 shipped..they usually sell on ebay for at least $200 and the 6.5" version can often be found in the $180 range. I was just browsing the in-walls on ebay one day and the M&S WG(which refers to the waveguide tweeter) got my attention with the bluie-ish purple baffle and 8" yellow kevlar woofer. They looked darn nice. I searched the web for reviews and everyone raved about them.

I auditioned them in my primary HT by simply hooking them up to the two front channels in a free-air configuration. I was shocked at their smooth yet detailed sound. I can only imagine how nice they'll sound when installed as surrounds in the ceiling in my secondary HT.

Here they are: http://cgi.ebay.com/M-S-Systems-WG15...3A1%7C294%3A50

emurl

Auditioning
Real Name
Ed Murl
Thanks for the info on the M&S speakers. I'll keep any eye out for them. I guess we are the only ones who read the reviews on the monoprice speakers. I'd just like to know how true the reviews are. Do the rest of the people on this forum not use ceiling speakers?

mylan

Screenwriter

Ehh, they also work in a whole house audio system but not for critical listening. It is kinda weird having sounds eminate from the somewhere over your head.
For home theater, I would consider in-walls before I would do ceiling speakers.

headknocker

Agent
Real Name
Kevin
Like I said, my M&S in-walls will be used as surrounds in the ceiling of my 15'x11' secondary HT. Although I came away very impressed in my limited audition of them I wouldn't consider in-walls or in-ceiling speakers(in particular) for anything but surround duty.

emurl

Auditioning
Real Name
Ed Murl
Thanks all. I am going to rethink my speaker installation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thebox
Recent bookmarks