What's new

Help with categorizing movies. (1 Viewer)

StephenA

Screenwriter
I've made 2 new categories at DVD Aficionado to put my movies in, war and gang/mob types. I just need a little help on what of my movies to add or remove from them.

For war movies I put in:

Apocalypse Now
Black Hawk Down
Bridge on the River Kwai
Full Metal Jacket
Glory
Lawrence of Arabia
The Patriot
Platoon
Rules of Engangement
Saving Private Ryan
Tears of the Sun
Three Kings

Should I add Commando, The Negotiator, the Rambo trilogy, Under Siege, A Few Good Men or the Last Samurai to the list? Are there any I should remove?

For gang/mob type movies I have:

Gangs of New York
Godfather trilogy
Pulp Fiction
Jackie Brown
Man On Fire
Suicide Kings
Reservoir Dogs
Boyz N The Hood
The Untouchables
Scarface
Basketball Diaries
Goodfellas
The Punisher
Hoodlum
LA Confidential
The Outsiders
Road To Perdition
Training Day
True Romance
The Usual Suspects

Should I add Leon/The Professional? Any I should remove?

You can also check my collection and tell me what I should change. Thanks for the help.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
How timely! I've been doing this myself lately. I made up a new catagory for 'cop flicks'. Lethal Weapon & Die Hard fit in nicely here.

As for the war movies, I don't have very many of those, but I do have others (like 'A Few Good Men') that I just decided are military movies, so I tossed out 'war' and changed it.

I have, for example, "Operation Petticoat". Now, this did take place during WWII, but it barely makes the cut of being a war movie. 'The Hunt for Red October' fits in here too, now.

Its sorting out the mutiple catagories that is slowing me down. What a mess.
Glenn

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I had all my DVDs set up by genre for a while, but I just prefer looking at 'em all in one big clump! :)

Still, it's fun to categorize 'em.

Commando - Not exactly a war movie, but I suppose it's close enough. Any movie with that much camoflauge.... ;)

The Negotiator - Nah. Not a war movie.

First Blood is not really a war movie per se, but both sequels would certainly qualify.

Under Seige - Only if Die Hard is a war movie.

A Few Good Men - Nah. Closer to a courtroom drama than a war movie.

The Last Samurai - Hmm. Sure, why not?

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor

Interesting question. Myself, I would put the most of the above flicks (quoted) under action. A Few Good Men I would put under drama or military drama, if you want to get picky. As for The Last Samurai perhaps it would be historical drama, though I have not seen it and cannot really judge it.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
See I cop out and just go with "Action" and that covers Westerns, Spy, War, and Crime films, at least as I store them.

Of course most of this is ruined by the fact that my largest section is the "Directors" section which sucks up most of the DVDs I own. Probably have about 30+ directors set aside in that area.

I also have a Drama section. And I would stick stuff like Few Good Men into that before either Action or War.

Commando would go into Action before War if I had both genres.

Last Sam - War or Historical

Under Siege - straight Action, whereever you put Die Hard like Scott said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks