Help with categorizing movies.

Discussion in 'Movies' started by StephenA, Sep 17, 2004.

1. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

Nov 30, 2001
    I've made 2 new categories at DVD Aficionado to put my movies in, war and gang/mob types. I just need a little help on what of my movies to add or remove from them.

For war movies I put in:

Apocalypse Now
    Black Hawk Down
    Bridge on the River Kwai
    Full Metal Jacket
    Lawrence of Arabia
    The Patriot
    Rules of Engangement
    Saving Private Ryan
    Tears of the Sun
    Three Kings

Should I add Commando, The Negotiator, the Rambo trilogy, Under Siege, A Few Good Men or the Last Samurai to the list? Are there any I should remove?

For gang/mob type movies I have:

Gangs of New York
    Godfather trilogy
    Pulp Fiction
    Jackie Brown
    Man On Fire
    Suicide Kings
    Reservoir Dogs
    Boyz N The Hood
    The Untouchables
    Basketball Diaries
    The Punisher
    LA Confidential
    The Outsiders
    Road To Perdition
    Training Day
    True Romance
    The Usual Suspects

Should I add Leon/The Professional? Any I should remove?

You can also check my collection and tell me what I should change. Thanks for the help.
  2. Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt Producer

Mar 24, 1999
    How timely! I've been doing this myself lately. I made up a new catagory for 'cop flicks'. Lethal Weapon & Die Hard fit in nicely here.

As for the war movies, I don't have very many of those, but I do have others (like 'A Few Good Men') that I just decided are military movies, so I tossed out 'war' and changed it.

I have, for example, "Operation Petticoat". Now, this did take place during WWII, but it barely makes the cut of being a war movie. 'The Hunt for Red October' fits in here too, now.

Its sorting out the mutiple catagories that is slowing me down. What a mess.
  3. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Oct 3, 2000
    I had all my DVDs set up by genre for a while, but I just prefer looking at 'em all in one big clump! [​IMG]

Still, it's fun to categorize 'em.

Commando - Not exactly a war movie, but I suppose it's close enough. Any movie with that much camoflauge.... [​IMG]

The Negotiator - Nah. Not a war movie.

First Blood is not really a war movie per se, but both sequels would certainly qualify.

Under Seige - Only if Die Hard is a war movie.

A Few Good Men - Nah. Closer to a courtroom drama than a war movie.

The Last Samurai - Hmm. Sure, why not?
  4. Lynda-Marie

Lynda-Marie Supporting Actor

Jun 3, 2004
    Interesting question. Myself, I would put the most of the above flicks (quoted) under action. A Few Good Men I would put under drama or military drama, if you want to get picky. As for The Last Samurai perhaps it would be historical drama, though I have not seen it and cannot really judge it.
  5. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Nov 5, 1998
    See I cop out and just go with "Action" and that covers Westerns, Spy, War, and Crime films, at least as I store them.

Of course most of this is ruined by the fact that my largest section is the "Directors" section which sucks up most of the DVDs I own. Probably have about 30+ directors set aside in that area.

I also have a Drama section. And I would stick stuff like Few Good Men into that before either Action or War.

Commando would go into Action before War if I had both genres.

Last Sam - War or Historical

Under Siege - straight Action, whereever you put Die Hard like Scott said.
  6. StephenA

StephenA Screenwriter

Nov 30, 2001
    Thanks for the responses and suggestions.