What's new

Help with Car Rental Advice (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Hey gang!

I am about to do something I've never done before--rent a car.

My wife and I will be going on a short trip to Florida soon. I'll be using Hertz as they are the only rental place at my exact destination. It looks as if they give a discount to AAA members (which I am).

My wife and I want to use a mid-size SUV for the rental. We'll have the car from a Friday through a Wednesday.

And that's about where I am and what I know.

Any advice anyone has about how to get a good deal, not to get "taken", adequate protection (insurance, etc.)--ANYTHING to watch out for--would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Find out if your insurance covers rentals, if not buy the (ridiculously expensive) insurance through Hertz.

Like Indiana, if you get pulled over and they want proof of insurance, the rental has to be covered.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
Yes, you really only need to make sure your insurance covers you. Your credit card might cover you as well. I totaled a rental car once (totally my own stupid fault) and Amex covered the entire cost.

They'll try to up-sell you on insurance, GPS, and the convenience to have them fill up the car with gas for you when you return. Decline all of this and anything else.

If you haven't booked yet, check out sites like Hotwire. You can usually get a better deal.

Inspect the car for any damage before you drive off the lot. Take pictures and tell the attendant at the gate when you leave. They usually don't car about anything smaller than the size of a dollar bill, but it's good to cover yourself.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
When you pick up the car, ask if they have any free upgrades available, even same class but with better features. They probably won't. But sometimes they've got the vehicles and you can get a nicer car just for asking nicely.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
As someone who relies on my iPhone when traveling: I always carry a USB cord, cigarette-lighter USB charge adapter and a 1/8" stereo cord. As long as the. At has some kind of Aux input, I can connect my audio for music and GPS.

But, like with the free upgrade request, if the car is rudimentary, I may ask for something nicer with Bluetooth capable stereo.

captgoodguy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Russell
I use Hertz regularly and I would suggest a few things:

AAA discounts are usually the best on the Hertz website but not always. Make sure to look at all discount opportunities. Book a car early to make sure you get one for the time that you need. Then continue to check out for new deals that might be better than your deal. You can modify your reservation with the new discount code but if that doesn't work, book the better deal first before cancelling your original reservation.

Are you a member of any other group? There are other groups such as Costco that might get you a better deal through rental agencies. (Costco doesn't offer Hertz, but just using that one as an example.)

Sign up for the free rental membership as this will save you LOTS of time during check-in if you are at an airport. If you have your membership already created and populated with your credit card information, you can bypass the long lines at the counter and walk straight out to the cars. There will be a sign with your name telling you what space your car is parked in. Walk to it and drive. That's all you have to do.

I agree with the other comments. If your car insurance covers a rental car, no need to buy theirs. Definitely check the car for damage before leaving the agency.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
We rent cars quite often when traveling. You have received lots of good advice so far. The most important thing is to make sure your existing auto insurance covers you for rentals -- most do for personal use, but not business (at least that is how State Farm works). There is no sense in paying the rental car company for something you are already paying your insurance company for.

I always decline all the offered options -- additional driver, insurance, GPS, tank of gas, etc. Being able to buy the tank of gas up front and bring it back empty sounds like a good idea, but it is usually pretty difficult to bring it back on the empty mark, and I'm too paranoid about running out of gas. I tried the option a couple of times when I knew we would be using more than a tank of gas, but went back to just bringing it back with a full tank.

Finally, look over the vehicle for any damage before accepting it, just to make sure you do not get blamed for any existing damage. They should tell you this when you pick up the vehicle, and give you a sheet to mark anything you find.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This is just one of the reasons I LOVE the HTF! Great answers, everyone!

I just got off the phone with Liberty Mutual. My policy DOES extend to rentals. So that's all set. I asked the customer service rep if I should bring my insurance card with me. Like Sam says, if I get pulled over or in an accident, I would think I should have proof-of-insurance on my person, right?!? She wasn't sure about that. What do you guys do?

As to some of your other points, I have a BJ's Warehouse membership. They also have some special deals set up with Hertz. But when I looked at the AAA website, they seem to have a special relationship with Hertz and make it sound like that will be the easiest (and maybe cheapest) way for me to go.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I always keep one of my insurance cards in my wallet. Allstate sends me two (actually, they just added a third for some reason): one lives in my car, one in my wallet.

And as to the gas, ABSOLUTELY top it off at the nearest station before returning the car. Their charge for doing that themselves will be outrageous. The one time I did that (I was in a hurry), I was totally shocked when I saw the bill. The trip was business and they didn't care, but it infuriated me on principle nonetheless.

Alf S

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alfer
Hope this doesn't happen to you all when you get to the rental agency. :D

(Sorry, don't know how to "inline"(?) YT on HTF.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
As a AAA member, I don't think you should need the roadside assistance coverage, either, since AAA membership covers the member and not the vehicle.

I second Paul's recommendation about checking whether your credit card includes rental car insurance coverage. They might actually be easier to deal with than your insurance company if you do get into an accident with the rental vehicle.

The only time I've used a rental car was through the State of New York's contract with Enterprise during my tenure at the State Education Department, since our office didn't do enough travel to justify the use of State vehicles. I heard a few horror stories from my co-workers, but I never had a bad experience with them. They have a location in the Hannaford plaza on the corner of Colvin Ave and Central Ave, and it was always easy to leave my vehicle there when I picked up the rental car and then swap back at the end of the trip.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Check the agency's refill policy. AVIS and Budget have a newer option for $13.99 flat fee for refill if you drive under 75 miles. If you're not driving much, and running late to the airport, it's a good option. Otherwise, refill. I'm not sure of current policies, but in the past the refill by the rental company was for a full tank at 50% higher than at-the-pump pricing.

Pay attention to the car odor when you get in. While rental car co's have no-smoking policies, people smoke. And the company will cover it up with deodorizer. If you're sensitive to the smell, it can be aggravating after a day of driving. So pay attention to it, and if it bugs you at all when you're just getting into the car, go back to the desk immediately, explain the situation, and request a different (and equal or better) car.

Likewise for any other safety issues like a flat tire alert. (Happened on my last trip. I got a bump from a mini SUV to a full SUV on that one.)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Another tip :)

Take your time when you first get the car. Don't rush. Take the time necessary to get your seat adjusted, the mirrors aimed, steering wheel tilted. Get your radio figured out; your iPhone plugged in and working. Set the air conditioner temperature. Find the turn signals and wipers.

All that takes 10 minutes. Which can feel like an eternity when you're anxious to get on your vacation.

But take a few minutes so you're not fighting with the car on a strange highway while your wife is yelling at you for missing the exit! :D

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Some of the rental companies offer the roadside assistance free of charge - - we just rented from Thrifty a couple of weeks ago in Myrtle Beach, and it was free. We have a AAA membership, though, so I would never pay for it from the rental company. In fact, the one time I needed the service on a rental due to a flat tire, I just called AAA.

As for the proof of insurance, look to see if your insurance company has a smartphone app. State Farm does, so I always have an electronic copy of my proof of insurance with me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks