What's new

Help With Calibration (1 Viewer)

Rob.melone

Stunt Coordinator
Several years ago I used the 2001 Sound & Vision (Ovation) HT Tune-up disc to calibrate a SD TV with excellent results. I tried the same disc to calibrate a new Panasonic Plasma HDTV and while the picture is striking I am concerned about the Picture/Contrast setting which I understand if set too high can have a negative effect on the display. The Panny was delivered with the Picture setting at max (30). After reading about burn-in, I reduced this setting to 0 (neutral) especially since I watch a lot of movies with a 2.35.1 AR. I followed the instructions to calibrate the Picture/Contrast setting, but was surprised that I was not able to adjust this setting high enough to a point just before "blooming." Even if set to the max (30) which was the factory setting!

Since calibration is supposed to achieve the best display results and minimize potential problems, should I be concerned about the high picture/contrast settings achieved through this process? Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Have you looked into getting a new calibration disc? I went on Amazon, and did a search on "video calibration" and it popped up quite a few options for newer TV/HDTV calibration discs.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

That's because "blooming" is an effect only seen on CRT-based televisions. Flat-panel and microdisplay technologies produce their screen images differently, in ways that don't translate changes into voltage into visible distortions like blooming or the bending of a vertical line, two classic tests on older calibration discs. You really need something newer like Digital Video Essentials or one of the other modern test discs that include test-patterns and procedures specific to newer televisions.

Regards,

Joe

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

A Panasonic plasma like you have typically ends up with a contrast setting of +20 after pro calibration.

The tHX optimode on any THX disc should help you to set contrast better.

regards

Rob.melone

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you Pat, Mike and Joe. I will buy a new caibration disc. I have my eye on the Digital Video Essentials High Definition HD-DVD. I will assume that I can use this on a Toshiba HD-A3 720/1080i player with a Panasonic TH-42PX75U 42" 720p Plasma HDTV. I will also try the THX Optimode, as suggested. If anyone has had this particular HDTV professionally calibrated and would like to let me know the settings, that would be great. Thanks. Rob

GeorgeAB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
G. Alan Brown
Settings from another TV will only get you in the neighborhood of optimum performance for your sample and in your viewing environment. You should keep in mind that samples of the same model can look different from one another off the same assembly line. Each unit sample must be addressed as a unique device. Tolerances are not very precise in consumer display equipment manufacturing. The only sure way to get the most out of your TV is to calibrate it in your viewing environment conditions, not rely on another set's characteristics.

Best regards and beautiful pictures,
G. Alan Brown, President
CinemaQuest, Inc.

"Advancing the art and science of electronic imaging"

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

So do you think the THX Optimode would work as well as Video Essentials? I just got a new 50" Panny 1080p plasma but I only have the old (1999) Video Essentials. I'm using SD-DVD and neither high-def format (for the time being) and am utterly confused what program will work best to tune my new 16X9 set...

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I've had little difficulty using calibration discs like AVIA or DVE designed mainly for crt sets on fixed pixel displays like lcd and sxrd rear projection, but I perhaps take a different approach to using the patterns.

Instead of looking for bent lines or blooming I watch the whitest or brightest square on the test pattern, turn contrast down until it turns grayish, then back up until it just turns a true white. This usually works the best in a room with subdued lighting. When ambient light is too much for this setting I go up a bit until the set can compete with the room lighting. Most sets have several "picture modes" that let you set individual settings under each mode so I can go from "daytime" to "night time" settings simply by switching pic modes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks