What's new

Help with calibration... (1 Viewer)

Edward_M

Agent
Ok here is my setup:

Panny XR50 receiver
Point 5 MK II speakers
Dayton TM II sub

I tried following the calibration tips and guidelines but I am having trouble with the level on my amp. The guide says to turn up the main volume of the amp to 75 db. The problem is my amp won't go to +75 db. It will only go up to +0. I tried putting it at -75 but obviously its too soft for the SPL meter to detect. Anybody have experience calibrating with a Panny XR50 amp?

For now I just calibrated by speakers at -15 db. The SPL meter when running the test tones from the DVE disc goes to about 74 db. Thanks and any help will be greatly appreciated.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Set your receiver to +00 and then with help from the SPL meter, adjust the SPL to 75db. This will be your reference. It's fine to calibrate to 75db at the -15 setting, but remember that if you turn it up past -15 you'll be running your speakers pretty hard.

Edward_M

Agent
Thanks Seth. Much appreciated! For the sub calibration I am also having some doubts. The level at the sub is set to about 1/4 of the way. When I turn the SPL at 80 db with the amp still at -15 and then run the sub test pattern it blows the SPL out of range. The sub level on the amp is currently set at the default which is 12 db. Which is the better option to get my sub down to 85 db? Turn down on the sub itself or turn down the sub level from the amp?

Also, what is the phase switch for? I have it set to 0 deg right now. If I have the vent of the sub facing the TV (I have the sub at the left most part of the room) do I have to set it to 90 deg or something?

Here is my speaker placement:

SUB-LF----TV----RF---
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
---------------------
--RS-----couch-----LS

Also, what should I set my Point 5 MK II to? Large (as indicated by the manual) or Small?

Many thanks again!!!

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Most receivers have a sub level with a range of -12 to 12. If your's is set at 12, I would definiltely turn it down on the receiver to 00 and then adjust the volume on the sub to get your 85db. If you need to adjust + or - a few db on the receiver, that's fine, but I'd definitely set it at 00 to start out with.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks