What's new

Help with cables for my new, upcoming HDTV? (1 Viewer)

Lanny_B

Second Unit
Composite, S-video, component, DVI. Hmmm. How will I get this all working with my receiver?

I'm trying to figure out the wiring before I get my HDTV, which I'm thinking will be a Sony 60" GWIII LCD. Up until now I've just had an older TV that only accepted composite video inputs. Now, I'm just trying to figure out what of my different components will use component cable, DVI cable, S-Video, or what.
Here's a pic of my receiver.

Here's how I have it set up right now, with my regular TV only having a composite input:
----------------
Xbox
Audio --> Optical Cable --> Optical Input 2
Video --> composite video (Y)--> Video Input 3

DVD (same, since I'm using the Xbox right now)

PS2
Audio --> composite audio (R & W)--> Video Input 2
Video --> composite video (Y)--> Video Input 2

Digital Cable
Coaxial Cable --> [VCR] Antenna Input -->

VCR
Audio --> composite audio (R & W)--> Video Input 1
Video --> composite video (Y)--> Video Input 1
----------------

Is switching over to component video (possibly DVI) going to be a difficult process? It looks like I only have two Component inputs on my receiver, for starters.

So, I'm confused what I'm going to do here to get everything working. First of all, if I want component video going out to my new HDTV, then plainly, are some parts not going to work? What new cables or upgraded equipment am I going to need for all of this?

There's also going to be Xbox 2's and PS3's coming out soon to add (or replace) parts to this whole mess.

I'm kind of swimming in this new world of higher video right now and trying to get down to actually what I will be needing to do to set this all up. Any help here is greatly appreciated.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Lanny.

You can start by running component directly to the television. This will take progressive from your DVD player and XBox .. and then you are full.

You can run DVD and XBox to the receiver, then to the TV and that leaves you 1 input on the TV for a HD Cable box (you really want this)... and then you are full.

Note: Some recievers offer component switching, but this was designed for 4 mhz signals. Progressive goes up to about 13 Mhz and 720/1080 up to about 35 Mhz. You really need to check your reciever manual and learn what the "bandwidth" on the component inputs it will support.

A lot of people with your same issues have gone with some external video switch box's. It's a lot cheaper than another reciever and the better ones also take optical & coaxial-digital for each input and convert everything to optical and coaxial-digital output. This means 1 feed to your reciever for the audio and 1 feed straight to the television for the video. Very cool.

This link on Inexpensive HD Video switching was written for people in your situation.

Hope it helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks