Help with cable box and s-video.

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Dennis Ellis, Dec 8, 2003.

1. Dennis Ellis

Dennis Ellis Stunt Coordinator

I had a digital cable box from Comcast. All was well. Today I switched the box out for a digital box w/s-video out.
    I have two problems/questions.

1. For some reason the lower channels are now fuzzy. Higher channels seem OK. Cbales all seem to be connected fine. What could have happened?

2. Not sure the s-video part is working. Are you supposed to just hook the s-video cable up or do the regular coaxial cables still have to be hooked up?
    The s-video is hooked into my Onkyo and then my Onkyo is hooked up to the tv. Shouldn't this be the only cable required for video from the cable box to the tv?

thanks for any info.

2. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

So you are running SVideo through the receiver?

First: hook the box directly to the TV with one of the SVideo cables. Does the fuzzy picture clear up? If so, suspect the other SVideo cable. Try plugging it in and see if both cables are good.

Then try running SVideo through the receiver.

If the direct connection to the TV is fuzzy, call Comcast back because I suspect:

- either the box is defective
    - you have a loose connection somewhere that they should fix.

3. Tod Golden

Tod Golden Stunt Coordinator

Hey Dennis

How did you get a cable box from Comcast that has s-video? I've been trying get one of these for some time. My CSR told me that all I had to do was "stop on by" and they would exchange it for me. But when I did "stop on by" they told me I didn't have the right program package and that I would have to upgrade to get one. A couple of questions: Does it have an optical and or coax output?
    Is the picture quality any better with the S-Video?

Anyway, to answer your question I would do what Bob said.

Tod

4. Dennis Ellis

Bob
    Yes I am going through the receiver. I'll try your suggestion after work today.

I just have an odd feeling the box is defective as you suggest.

Tod
    I just stopped by one day and asked them if I could have one w/s-video. They told me they would have to get one from the warehouse and call me.
    I got the call yesterday and went and picked it up. ANd it has optical and coaxial digital out. Didn't have an extra cable so I'll have to get one.

5. Tod Golden

Dennis, one last question. Do you have cable package that includes one of the premium channels such as HBO? Since I don't, that is the reason they wouldn't give me one.

Tod

6. Dennis Ellis

Tod
    No HBO, Showtime, etc. Just digital cable and the high-speed internet service.
    Not unless the lady signed me up for HBO or something I didn't ask for. If she did I better get it for free or I'm canceling it.

If it's been a while just call again. Tell them you want to get a box with the didital audio/video outputs on the back. It may work this time.
    hurry and do it so you can get yours working and then you can tell me what I'm doing wrong. haha

7. Tod Golden

Thanks for the info Dennis, thats what I have as well. My current box has been giving me problems lately. On certain channels, like ESPN and Fox Sports Net, audio is only coming from one side. Kind of a P I T A$$.

I'll let you know how things turn out.

Tod