Help with best setup in new HT room....

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Smith, Nov 3, 2001.

1. David Smith

David Smith Stunt Coordinator

Well, I'm really considering converting my garage into a dedicated home theater/music listening room and I need some help with how to set it up.
    First of all, I really need to retain some of my garage for my Harley, tools, etc., so I will eed to build a wall leaving about 6' or so of my garage left.
    In addition to keeping some garage space, this will also allow me to build my tv and my equipment into the wall essentially, with the equpment in sort of a closet with access to the back from the garage side.
    My speakers will still be out in the room as to not hurt imaging, etc. Also, with the TV recessed, I won't have to deal with the audio reflections. I can only assume that this will help my sound even more.
    Anyway, I guess what I need to know is, how can I set this up to give the absolute best sounding home theater, and more importantly, music listening and enjoyment?
    The room right now is 20' X 20', but since I will build a wall, it will actually be about 20' X 14', give or take. Would it be better accoustically for the system to be set up on the short wall or on the long wall?
    I'm hoping the long wall will be OK, but if not, I can figure out anpother way. My main point of this room is the best sound possible, no matter what it takes (almost!)
    The room will also be capable of being completely closed, with no hallway, door openings, etc. Is this good or not? Also with a standard 8' (?) ceiling and this layout, what should I do in terms of room treatments etc.?
    Anyway, any help would be appreciated. Thanks so much!!!

2. David Smith

David Smith Stunt Coordinator

Anyone?