help with BEASTIE BOYS cds

Discussion in 'Music' started by JeremySt, Jul 23, 2004.

1. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    Hey there

I am a huge Beastie Boys fan, but my collection of their work has never been complete. I have all the main albums, The Sounds of Science Anthology, and the Criterion DVD. I recently ordered the Root Down EP, and the "tour shot" import. However, on the Criterion DVD, there are several remixes that I really like and am trying to get ahold of on CD. Specifically, the Remix of ALIVE, which I think is audio track #4. Is anyone familiar with the two different ALIVE CD singles, and which one contains that remix?

Also, does anyone have any reccomendations for some other BBoys CDs I should pick up?

2. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

licensed to ill
    ill communication
    paul's boutique

all very necessary in my opinion

kevin t

3. Kevin Leonard

Kevin Leonard Supporting Actor

Proof positive that most people don't actually read the posts; they just usually glance at the final line.[​IMG]

To answer your question: while I don't own the singles, a glance at the tracklists reveals that there is only one remix of "Alive," and that is located on the 2nd single--the "Bentley Rhythm Ace" remix, which is audio track 6 on the Criterion DVD.

If you're looking for the "Rapscallion" mix (which is audio track 4), you may be out of luck; it looks like it was one of the many remixes prepared exclusively for the DVD. I did some searching on Google, and there was an article that stated the "Rapscallion" remix was available for free on Amazon.com, but when I checked, it wasn't there anymore.

Perhaps you can rip the audio track directly from the DVD? I know people on this site sometimes do this for audio commentaries.

As for your other question: you essentially have everything the Beasties officially released, outside of The In Sound From the Way Out! (a fun instrumental compilation) and the Some Old Bullshit EP (made back in their punk salad days). If you're looking to collect the Criterion remixes, the Body Movin' EP contains a couple from the DVD, I believe.

The Beasties have quite a few b-sides and rarities that haven't been collected yet; you might have to look into "unofficial" albums to grab those...

EDIT:

The following page is pretty thorough for the Beastie's albums, singles, EP's and promos:
    http://www.beastiemania.com/discog/

4. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

JeremySt: try this site for more info on your questions:

Beastiemania.com

And check their homepage for recent remixes, like the "Just Blaze" remix of "Ch-Check It Out".

BTW: just for the heck of it, here is a great site devoted to Paul's Boutique, which contains all the lyrics & especially, where all those samples came from.

Paul's Boutique Samples and References List

The first thing I want to do when I buy a standalone burner is make some CD-Rs of all those remixes (forty nine!) on the Criterion discs. No big deal to do this--just use the analog outs on the dvd player into the analog inputs on the burner.

5. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy
    Thanks Kevin and Lance. I do own "The In Sound From Way Out" Its really nothing special, i think there are only two tracks on there not found on the main albums. Although it is does make a great standalone party disc if youre in the mood for some jazzy beats.

Kevin, you are right; The "Rapscallion Remix" is the version of ALIVE that I like. I downloaded a version of ALIVE from napster, and is 95% identical to the rapscallion version. The rapscallion version is missing Mike D's opening dialogue, instead opting for a musical intro. Also, AdRocks line "I use the microphone like Picasso used Clay" is instead "...like cops use spray."

Since there seems to be no way of buying these tracks, if someone can give me a tip on how to transfer the audio from the DVDs onto my PC in MP3 or whatever form, it would be much appreciated.

6. Kevin Leonard

Kevin Leonard Supporting Actor

Jeremy,

I'm afraid I can't help you in regards to ripping audio tracks from a DVD, since I have never done it myself. However, there are programs like the following that should allow you do it fairly easily:

http://www.imtoo.com/dvd-audio-ripper.html
    http://www.allformp3.com/dvd-audio-ripper.htm

You might want to hunt around on the net for similar programs that have freeware versions or full demos. I seem to recall Vince Maskeeper posting on more than one occasion that he regularly rips audio commentaries and listens to them on his iPod. If you can't find a suitable program, you might want to shoot him a PM and ask what software he uses.

Or you could try creating a new thread in the Computer/HTPC area. I'm sure there are several people on this board who will point you in the right direction.

Good luck!

EDIT: I noticed Lance also posted a method of ripping DVD audio tracks...perhaps he can provide further instruction?