What's new

Help with basic HT PC connection (1 Viewer)

StHalcyon

Auditioning
Real Name
John
I've never had problems with building my own home theater computers using high quality connectors. But I'm now stumped on a very basic thing that is actually quite embarrassing.

For my second home theater PC, which is not going to be my primary one, I'm just using a cheap Dell Dimension 8400 and stock components. The onboard audio chipset provides the following output connectors:
1x line-out connector
1x surround connector
1x center/LFE connector
All 3 connectors are the standard 3.5 mm connectors. (http://support.dell.com/support/edoc.../U70350LRs.pdf page 1)

My Panasonic SA-XR57 receiver has a set of 6 RCA input connectors labeled DVD analog 6-channel. (http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/SAXR57.PDF page 8)

I'm guessing that I would need at least 2 stereo 3.5 mm to RCA cables to connect:
PC's line-out to receiver's "Front L-R" DVD analog input, and
PC's surround to receiver's "Surround L-R" DVD analog input.

The remaining task is how do I connect the PC's "center/LFE" to my receiver's separate RCA inputs for center and subwoofer? I've always used optical wires and have a separate high quality sound card on my other computers before, but this is the first time I've gone the cheap route, and I'm baffled by this "center/LFE" connector which I have never used before. Should I also be getting a third stereo 3.5 mm to RCA cable, and plug the white RCA to the sub input, and the red RCA to the center input?

Thanks for your patience...

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yes. Your documentation should tell you which RCA output corresponds to the center/LFE but if it doesn't, it's not difficult to determine. If you have voices coming through your sub and bass through your center channel then you need to reverse the connections.

-Robert

StHalcyon

Auditioning
Real Name
John
Thanks for the info confirming my guess! The problem is that nowhere on Dell's documentation does it go into detail about that LFE connector. Frustrating, huh? Thanks a lot for the help!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks