Help with Art 351 EQ

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Juan_R, Oct 4, 2002.

1. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

I just purchase a used Art 351 EQ for my SVS 20-39CSi, the problem I am having is that it did not come with the instructions and I don't know how to use the EQ. Would somebody point me in the right direction as to where I can get a PDF file of the instructions.

Also if you guys can help with where to set he subsonic filter, don't laugh at me but I don't even know which button sets the filter.

2. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

The leftmost knob is the ss filter. Keep it all the way left, lowest setting. This is about 17hz.

I kept the level all the way up, knob at 10. The level seems to be damped with the eq in the signal chain so I left the level knob wide open and recalibrated, all sliders flat.

Obviously you now need to check the level of every frequency mark and record the results. Then make the appropriate adjustments. You're trying to make all cuts, not boosts. You always have to live with a room-induced null if you have ne.

Good Luck!

3. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

From left to right I see the high leve knob that goes from 10 to 230... then there is the low pass knob that goes from 3 to 40... then there is the level knob that goes from 0 to 10. I understand that you left the level knob at 10, but when you say all the sliders flat, do you mean to leave the sliders in the middle setting. Could you also tell me what you set the low pass knob to? And what effect does the range button have?

Sorry to ask so many question I just have never messed with this type of eq. I really do appreciate all the help you have giving me so far.

4. ColinM

ColinM Cinematographer

Hi-pass limits how deep the sub goes - set it to 40 and it starts to roll off the bass below that. Keep this knob all the way down. It is always on, and the lowest setting will be about 16 or 17hz. Don't worry about the low pass.

Flat means +/-0, or in the middle. When you introduce an eq into the signal chain, recalibrate with the sliders at zero, eq level all the way up.

When I had it running, I used it at +/-12db since I had to cut about that much at 63hz...