What's new

Help with appropriate Speakers/Receiver to bring out clear voice sound in small bedroom home theater (1 Viewer)

girbabe

Agent
Real Name
Terri
I don't have a subwoofer and the receiver automatically changes subwoofer to "yes" when I try to change the main speakers to small. Then there is the matter of LFE and LFE+main (though I don't have a sub so I don't know if that makes a difference). My main objective is to reduce as much background audio as possible while increasing the vocal sound from the center speaker. The way they are set up now, there is WAY too much bass coming from main speakers.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Okay - if you don't have a subwoofer, then you need to set your mains (LCR) to Large. The crossover should say "Full Range" or something similar. I apologize for misunderstanding.
Then, set Subwoofer to "No" - then the LFE+Main option should grey out.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Set it as low as possible - at some point (usually below 40) it will say "Full Range" or something like that. Make sure it's set to Large also and you set the sub to "No".

girbabe

Agent
Real Name
Terri
So, I'm pretty pleased with my setup, especially since it's been years since I actually had a receiver and I can finally hear and understand the dialog. I've got everything connected the way I want it for the most part but I'm having trouble trying to figure out how to make it work with the TV itself. It's a Panasonic P50ST50 and has an anntenna/cable input and 3 HDMI. The receiver wants to use one of the HDMI connections for the monitor but actually watching TV is through the annenna/cable input and I can't figure out the logic how the two are supposed to connect so I can use the receiver/speakers when in that mode. It's as if there is no connection between the two. When looking through the menu, the only thing I saw that might be an issue is that there is no assigned HDMI number in the Input Assign menu, though it does have "01" under Digital. Hopefully I'm explaining this right and someone here can help. Except for this "blip" in the setup, everything else is working fine.

girbabe

Agent
Real Name
Terri
My lack of electronics knowledge is certainly apparent. I don't have a cable STB since I cut the cable cord a long time ago but comcast provides basic cable channels when you subscribe to their internet plan. I have coax coming in through the wall where it is split and goes to my computer and the TV. Since the receiver doesn't have a tuner and I want to hear TV programming through the external speakers, is my only option a Toslink cable from the TV to the receiver? If so, then can anyone help me understand what is necessary to get an HDMI connection from receiver to TV where ARC can be utilized? Both the receiver and my TV is capable but I don't understand why if there is no way to connect them.
Thanks for taking the time to help out.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
ARC requires you to turn on the CEC(on the Panny, that would be the Viera Link...I don't remember what AVR you bought...not backtracking)
The issue is, CEC is not a universal standard of control...so the Panny might "completely work" with the AVR...or it might not.
Even if CEC does function between the brands...CEC(in my opinion) brings other headaches to the table. Especially when dealing with two different brands trying to work together.
You can buy a toslink cable for less than $5 on Amazon.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
You can go into the receivers (Denon 591) speaker setup menu and select "large" for the center channel which will automatically convert the crossover to Full Range. However, if the Fronts are set to Small then only the Small setting is available for the other speaker groups and the Subwoofer is automatically set to On forcing a crossover od at least 40. See pg 46 :) .
Sorry I can't help you with the ARC. I don't use that feature since it does seem to cause more problems then it's worth (to me anyway) and they will consume more power in stand-by, but it looks like you're in the very capable hands of David and Sam.

girbabe

Agent
Real Name
Terri
Yep - you're right, it's a headache. I tried messing with it while waiting for an answer and it doesn't work. I then read a Panasonic thread about the Viera Link/ARC thing only works if all electronics are Panasonic.
I also read that there is some sort of bandwidth limitation when you use the optical cable instead of Hdmi that degrades audio. Can you address that?
Regarding Gene's comment about setting front speakers to small, what change does that make to the audio? Also, I don't have a subwoofer. Should I get one? From what I've been reading, it seems as if there is more overall control if a sub is connected. For me personally, I don't need any bass - in fact I could use less of it. When messing with the settings, this is what I get:
Front set to large, center set to small, sub no, crossover front full band, center 40hz
Both set to small, only option for sub is yes. Crossover for both can go to 40hz.
Front large, center small, sub can go yes or no, crossover full band for front but center can't go less than 80hz.
Both set to small, the entire crossover option setting completely goes away and can't even be selected.
Considering I am after clear dialog (BIG HUMONGOUS PRIORITY), with the least amount of background noise, what would be my best option? Remember, I don't have a sub.
My current setup:
Denon AVR 591
Bic America center DV62 CLRs and 2 Venturi DV84's
Panasonic TC-P50ST50
Panasonic Bluray DMP-BDT320
WDTV Live
Zotac Zbox mini PC with Windows Media Center
Linksys E4200v2
Silicon Dust HDHomerun HDHR3 Network Dual Tuner

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
"Both set to small, the entire crossover option setting completely goes away and can't even be selected."
You must have meant both set to Large, correct? :) That's the only way no crossover adjustment can be made.
My recommendation: If you listen at moderate levels then set the Fronts to Large, the Subwoofer to None and the Center to small and 80 hz (all bass below 80 will go to the Fronts). Make sure the Surrounds and Surround Backs are also set to None. You can bump up the Center channel volume a bit if you need to.
If you listen to two channel programs in Dolby ProLogic and/or DTS neo:6 in order to activate the center channel then there should be an adjustment in the setup menu that allows to determine how much of the signal goes to the center channel vs the fronts. It's probably only available when ProLogic and/or Neo:6 are in use. It can be quite effective at centering the dialog in the center channel.

girbabe

Agent
Real Name
Terri
oops, yes, it goes away when both are set to large.
I really don't understand much about the different types of audio codes. I started on this quest when the built in Panasonic TV media player wouldn't play hardly any of the files I have and found it easier to just get a receiver than to try and convert all my files.
Your statement about "two channel programs" implies that I have an option to change the different type of audio? If not, I assume then that you are referring to the specific audio attached to whatever movie I'm watching. Sorry if I sound ignorant. I am excited though at the prospect of being able to center the dialog.
What I've done so far - and hopefully I didn't screw anything up - is to go into the Channel Level option and then Test Tone Start. I was able to adjust the volume during a really obnoxious sound test where I lowered the mains and increased the center. Is that something you were referring to?

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
If you're watching a tv program or dvd in stereo, Dolby ProLogic and DTS Neo:6 will take the stereo signal and convet it up to 7.1 for surround sound. Press the Standard button on the remote control to cycle between the different Dolby and DTS surround modes.
Yes, you can raise the center volume or lower the front left and right channels or both. It's recommended to set all the volumes levels so they sound the same but most of us raise the center channel a bit to better hear the dialog. You can do it "on the fly" with the CH LEVEL button on the remote.

girbabe

Agent
Real Name
Terri
I have a feeling that the gap between my main and center is probably much wider than yours - or most for that matter. Maybe I should have mentioned earlier that I have a sensitivity to sound though I don't know if it would have made any difference in your recommendations.
So...what dictates which audio type is played? Is there a default and then options from there - and of course, depending on what was used to record it, correct? (I just reread that statement and I'm not sure I made any sense)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
"I have a feeling that the gap between my main and center is probably much wider than yours - or most for that matter. Maybe I should have mentioned earlier that I have a sensitivity to sound though I don't know if it would have made any difference in your recommendations."
Not sure what you mean here.
"So...what dictates which audio type is played? Is there a default and then options from there - and of course, depending on what was used to record it, correct? (I just reread that statement and I'm not sure I made any sense)"
If you hit the D/ST button on the remote and select Direct the receiver will play the audio signal as it receives it, and without any processing like Audyssey or Tone Controls.
Most music and Standard Definition tv programs are in stereo which ProLogic and Neo:6 can expand into 5.1/7.1 (or 3.0 in your case).
Most dvd's, BluRays and HD tv programs are in 5.1 which can be expanded into 7.1 (or contracted into 3.0 by your receiver).
Of course, there are exceptions to those statements. Some music on SACD and almost all DVD Audio are/is recorded in 5.1. Many dvd's are stereo or mono., etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks