Help with an English Comedy Please

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Kerrie Lambourn, May 24, 2005.

1. Kerrie Lambourn

Kerrie Lambourn Auditioning

Does anyone know the name of an English comedy about a Pakistan family living in London, the father owns a fish and chips shop and he tries to marry off his kids...the oldest son ran away with another guy on the day of his arranged marrige....the father is Pakistan and the mother is English????? I have been told its a great movie but dont know the name of it....does anyone know or can suggest what the name of the movie might be.....thanks

Kerrie

2. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Executive Producer

Greg
    I've never seen it, but I saw a description for a movie like that in an old Blockbuster Movie Guide. It was My Beautiful Laundrette. Could that be it?

Eh, no. That ain't it. Looks like it might be this:

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0166175/

3. Kerrie Lambourn

that's the one...East Is East...thanks so much!!!! now i have my friday night planned......I will try and check out My Beautiful Laundrette....never heard of it....but always happy to check out new movies....thanks again Greg.....

4. Greg_S_H

Greg
    You're welcome. I'm afraid I let down the honor of the HTF by taking 16 minutes to answer you, though! We're usually much faster. [​IMG]

5. Kerrie Lambourn

well, i'm very impressed......have you seen East Is East before....i have been told it is very funny...and i love English Comedy.....i'll let you know if it is funny once i have watched it....[​IMG]

6. Greg_S_H

Greg
    I haven't seen it, but I do remember seeing the trailer on E!'s Coming Attractions show. That's been a long time.

7. andrew markworthy

Seen it. IMHO the premise is rather better than the execution. However, your mileage may vary.

If you want to explore comedies based around the experience of Pakistani/Indian immigrants to the UK, you might also want to look out for:

Anita and Me
    Bend It Like Beckham

and one just out as a movie over here:

Chicken Tikka Massala

Arguably funnier than all of these is the Brit TV series Goodness Gracious Me.

8. BrianB

BrianB Producer

Which is currently being shown by BBC America as it happens.

9. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

My Beautiful Laundrette is a very fine, small film from the 80s, but is in no way a comedy. Stephen Frears, the director was not so well known on this side of the Atlantic, but he went on to direct such diverse films as The Grifters and High Fidelity.

My Beautiful Laundrette was shot in 16mm and is notable (now) for having introduced Daniel-Day Lewis.

A very fine view (as far as I know, which is not much) of Pakistanis in London and confused and shifitng sexual identities, but very much not a comedy.

10. Brook K

Brook K Lead Actor

If you've heard East Is East is "great", I'd prepare myself for some disappointment. [​IMG] It has some moments but I'd agree with Andrew's assessment. Personally I preferred Bend It Like Beckham, though that certainly isn't a great movie either.

11. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

You might also check out The Kumars at No. 42, funny in small doses, but the premise fades after a while.

12. Kerrie Lambourn

Hi Greg_S_H

i got to watch East is East on the weekend and loved it....it has comedy but some sad parts too....but really great movie......thanks again for the reply with the title....planning on checking out the other movies recommended on this thread...

Kerrie