Help with Amp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Louisp, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Louisp

Louisp Stunt Coordinator

Louis Patrick
    I have a Harman Kardon AVR 525 running 7.1. Recently I obtained a old but mint condition 2.1 Kenwood Amplifier.

1. Would there be any benefit if I were to use the Kenwood amp to power the surround back left and right speakers. The HK would then have two less speakers to power.

2. The Kenwood KM-894 amp is 245 watts and is actually made to work solely with a Kenwood KA-994 Receiver. When I mated the Kenwood amp with the HK 525 I found that the Kenwood provided a great deal of power to the two connected speakers. In fact, the volume was over increased to such an extend that I could not align the surround r/l with the speakers powered by the HK.

I would appreciate your comments and suggestions.

2. joseFMJ

joseFMJ Stunt Coordinator

I think you just answered your own question. If its too powerful to allow for level matching with the HK, how could you use it?
    Besides you would gain the most benefit by using it on the front speakers. But if the HK at -10dB on the fronts and +10dB on the rears still results in a mismatch, then you may have to use some kind of level control to cut the input signal going into the amp.

3. Louisp

Louisp Stunt Coordinator

Louis Patrick
    Thanks for your reply. I solved the problem by installing a high power volume control in the speaker line (coming from the Kenwood amp). Which, I believe, was your exact suggestion.