Help with Adire Sub Cabinet

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Blake Middleton, Mar 11, 2001.

1. Blake Middleton

I am building the 142.5L EBS alignment cabinet from Adire. I also ordered the AVA250 plate amp to mount to the cabinet. My problem is that I cannot find a good place for it. If I mount it on the back, it will interfere with the port. If I mount it on one of the sides, it will take a huge chunk out of the side braces. Has anyone built this sub before? Where did you mount the amp if you used the AVA250? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
    Blake

2. Craig LeBlanc

Craig LeBlanc Stunt Coordinator

I started building the EBS box a week ago and it's almost finished. I had given thoughts about using one of the plate amps for power, but since I do have a NAD 2200PE sitting around, I'm going to use it. One option for using the Adire amp would be to build an attachment piece to fit onto the back of your cabinet...that way you don't lose any internal volume and you don't have to worry about doing any more modifications to the internal structure.

3. Blake Middleton

Yes, but building an external box would prove hard to veneer, and wouldn't look as nice as a flush mounted amp. I guess it wouldn't matter if its stuck in a corner, but I would rather flush mount it. Thanks.
    Blake
    ------------------

4. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

I think the only way you're going to attach the plate amp is to slap it on the side, but you're going to have to just extend box a little wider (as wide as the plate amp, maybe an extra inch if needed) and build a faux side section for the plate amp. This way, the bracing remains intact, and your sub in all-in-one.
    Build a slightly wider box, put in the wall for one of the sides along with the bracing, and then on the outer side, cut in the hole for the plate amp, and drill in a small hole in the inner wall for the cable for the driver.
    ------------------
    PatCave ; HT Pix ; Gear ; Sunosub I + III ; DVDs ; LDs

5. Blake Middleton

Pat:
    All my pieces are already cut and ready to glue together. I really don't want to waste those pieces and cut new ones. I think I would probably build a smaller box for the amp before I enlarged the whole box.
    Blake
    ------------------

6. Mike Temple

Mike Temple Auditioning

Another option is to cut a relief in one of the braces and run the amp more toward one side than the other. The loss in rigidity can be compensated for by cutting some 3/4 or 1" wood dowels and using them for bracing, by cutting them about 1/32 oversize and tapping them in then using countersunk screws to secure them. I used this method with the EBS/Shiva box and it seemed to work well
    Good luck
    ------------------

7. Mark Seaton

Mark Seaton Supporting Actor

Mark Seaton
    Blake-
    If the internal depth of the amp is a problem, you could always build a "stand off" for the amp. Cut one or two (depending on how short on clearance you are) MDF rectangles which are as large or larger than the plate of the amp. 2 of these stacked together would give you an additional 1.5" of clearance, and could still look nice with the amp extending from the box slightly. Also remember you could bend the port if need be. You just need to maintain the center line length of the port.
    Mark Seaton

8. Blake Middleton

Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I'm going to put it on the side opposite the port. I will have to take out a little bit of the braces, but I don't think it will affect the rigidity of the box at all.
    ------------------

9. Stuart Mundy

Stuart Mundy Agent

The Amp doesn't have to be attached to the cabinet you could if you want for simplicity and astetics make a seperate box for the amp and just run the outputs from the amp to where ever your sub is located

Stuart

10. Lee Carbray

Lee Carbray Second Unit

I am in the same position as well. And am just stating to figure out whether I should mount the amp at all. I have the box together minus the braces and bottom. I have not done a visual inspection with the yet but I was going to look into moving one of the side-to-front-to-back-braces over a little. I don't think it has to be a lot less then an inch. And it should not affect the rigidity of the box.

Does anybody the volume that the amp takes up in the box? If it is going to affect the volume then I will probably just build an external box for it.

11. Ronnie Ferrell

Ronnie Ferrell Second Unit

I just cut out the brace for the plate amp to fit in my sealed 122L tempest.
    Here are a few photos:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The smaller notch is for the threaded inserts to mount the plate amp.
    It actually fit without cutting any of the brace out, but I wanted more air room around the transformer. Without the cut out it pretty much touched the brace.
    rf

12. JoelTW

JoelTW Stunt Coordinator

Hey, I need to get some new router bits for cutting and rounding... what would you recommend? The few I have just suck and start smoking [​IMG]

13. Ronnie Ferrell

Ronnie Ferrell Second Unit

I am fond of CMT bits, but they are on the pricey side. Especially for MDF use. A few of the regulars around here use MLCS Router Bits . Hank and Brian to name two.

14. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer