What's new

Help with Adire 281 cabinets (1 Viewer)

Jody C Robins

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys. I just ordered a pair of Adire 281s and would like to start building the cabinets (vented) this weekend. I've read through some past threads, but I still have a few questions. This will be my first DIY project, as well as my first big carpentry project, so any help would be great. I plan on getting the initial pieces cut at a woodworking place, so that won't be a problem.
1) When assembling, what glue should I use and should I use finishing screws?
2) What order to assemble? Also, it seems some people put on the baffle last, and some the back. Which would you suggest?
3) How can I avoid the T-nut problems several of you have had? I know I can just put the baffle on after they arrive, but I would like to have it painted and ready to go when the kits arrive.
4) Where/how should I mount the crossovers?
5) Should I sand and/or seal any surfaces before painting?
Thanks for your help. I'm sure I'll have more questions later, but this will be enough to get me started (and maybe help out others).

James Mudler

Stunt Coordinator
To answer your construction questions properly, What type of wood will you be using? As for your xo's keeps the coils away from spk magnets. Good luck
------------------
Luke, I'm your father

Brett_A

Stunt Coordinator
Mount the T-nuts on the front board before assembling. Also you will probably need to slightly grind down behind the tnuts to make the front panel fit flush. I assembled everything except the front plate and then did that last(don't forget to stuff the bottom first though). I just used wood glue and finishing nails. I think you would get the best results by using glue and a lot of clamps as that will get the flushest joints. HTH
------------------
Brett

James Mudler

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry it took so long to reply. I have noticed you have some very good information. I have been a avid woodworker for 15 yrs and still hate t-nuts. I prefer inserts. I hate trying to flush t-nuts in MDF. Six in one hand, half a dozen in another.
Wear gloves when gluing. If you use regular wood glue (titebond,elmers) you don't need gloves. Gorilla glue will stay on your hands forever. You should see my wedding photos.
Put the front baffle on last. If you make a mistake your project is not scraped. Stripped screws holes, rabbit bit slipping, etc, can make hard ship.
I will disagree with finishing nails. They could poke out and/or the wood filer over time and ruin you finish if you do not veneer. Use a different mechanical fastner. Screws (predrill) will be your best bet. You mentioned you are new to woodworking so I doubt you have a library of clamps to just glue and skip screws.
As for the finish that is all up to you and elbow grease. If you are able to get clean joints (no small gaps or seams) then prime (prime MDF because it will absorb like crazy) sand, paint, then poly. Veneer it and stain then poly of the joints are not perfect or close to it.
Remember to have fun. The wood is cheap compared to divers and xo's. If you make a mistake, laugh and learn. I can hear my 8th grade shop teacher now. Good luck.
------------------
Luke, I'm your father

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks