What's new

Help with a Toshiba 36" Tube (1 Viewer)

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit
A friend of mine has a Toshiba Cinema Seies 36" tube and is having a problem we cannot figure out. When watching television (cable) or a DVD, we can see farely large swiggle-type lines in the middle of the set. They are most apparent when the screen is black. Even if the video source is turned off and the whole screen is just black, you can still see them. I'm positive it's not a magnetic shielding problem. Although, I'm having trouble figuring out what else it could be. Any thoughts or help is greatly appreciated...
Thank You.

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings
Hmmm would that stuff be located on the left and right sides of the TV ... like in zones 4 and 6 if the TV is divided into 9 rectangles?
If so ... you are seeing the dreaded Moire problem that many tube sets suffer from. It is not magnets.
There is a fix for this ... check the Keohi HDTV site out for a history of the problem and the fix.
Regards
------------------
fp.jpg

Michael @ The Laser Video Experience

Perry Jonkheer

Second Unit
Michael, thanks for the reply. Actually, I'd say the problem is seen closer to the middle of the set. Anyway, I would be interested in the link of that site you recommended.
Thank You.
------------------
"Who's this guy? I don't get it."

Brett G

Stunt Coordinator
As an owner (at least for another week until my 65H80 arrives) of a Toshiba 36" Cinema Series, I can say with almost certainty (oxymoron?) that that is the evil moire problem. I had it on mine, and the only way I was able to get rid of it was to defocus the set slightly. Granted, that really doesn't fix the problem, just makes it less noticeable.
Best place to start is Tom's link from above. It's really pretty simple, just be careful!!
-Brett
------------------
My DVD's

Timur

Auditioning
I believe this is the same problem I posted about before. If the solution is to defocus the TV, how does one do that without calling a technician. According to the technician, it takes 30 seconds to do after taking the cover off. Can someone provide specific instructions on how to do that on a Toshiba 36A50 TV?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Timur

Michael TLV

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings
You will have to figure out how to take the cover off yourself.
Once off ... in the lower left or right corner is a black box with 2 knobs.
One says focus ... this is the knob you need.
With the TV on ... put up some material where the moire is most noticeable ...
Play with the focus knob from end to end to see how it works and what happens to the image at max focus point.
Now slowly back off the focus a bit and watch the moire disappear in most cases.
That's all ... close up... enjoy.
Regards
yum.gif

------------------
fp.jpg

Timur

Auditioning
Michael,
Thanks a lot for your help!!! It worked! Now the picture is perfect!
Regards,
Timur
PS: I couldn't understand the labels so I guessed at the focus knob and found it. What does the second knob do?

Michael TLV

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings
The second Knob is the screen control. Macro contrast ... Touch it and you screw whatever level of "accurate" grayscale your set might have had. Don't go there.
Regards
------------------
fp.jpg

AaronP

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Toshiba CZ36V61 can I do a focus with that? I wouldn't mind making the image a little more focused if its possible.

Michael TLV

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings
Aaron ... I recommend that you read the articles about Moire on the Keohi site before proceding to "improve" your
focus.
Regards
------------------
fp.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks