What's new

Help with a station logo? (1 Viewer)

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
I recently saw a station logo on a disk that was showing the TV shows Range Rider and The Rebel. The logo said Encore within a triangle with a plus sign (+) below it. Anyone familiar with this logo? Was it an earlier incarnation of the Encore channel we know of today?

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
I think I figured it out. Along with the Encore+ there was a reference to Encore 3. Apparently, the Starz Encore channels used number identifiers for their many channels back in the 90's (stopping in 1996 when they went with subject matter names instead). Encore 3 was for westerns, which makes sense based on the shows I referenced.

This is good news for me since I've only been paying attention to Encore Western for the last couple of years. It shows they can mix it up from time to time. I'd like a chance to see some more of the obscure short run westerns of the past like The Rebel and Range Rider. Hopefully, some of these will get another run some day letting me experience some other oldies for the first time.

Since I've been paying attention, I've seen the following shown:

- Cheyenne

- Maverick

- Cimarron Strip

- Lawman

- Gunsmoke (b/w 60 minute)

- Have Gun Will Travel

- Virginian

- Wagon Train

Just as I was getting started the following went off the air:

- Rifleman

And we know on 2012 starts:

- Rawhide

Anyone know of others that have played at one time or another on Encore (that may make a comeback some day)

- Big Valley (I know this one aired some time back)

Tom.W

Second Unit
Brad,

In addition to The Rebel and Range Rider, Wanted: Dead or Alive and The Gene Autry Show aired in the mid-nineties on the Encore Western channel. By that time, the switch to theme names had occurred. There may have been a few others before the switch.

One show I'd like to see Encore pick up is Tales of Wells Fargo - the b/w half hours. I'm happy they're doing a nice job with Wagon Train. Did anyone notice they skipped The Swift Cloud Story (#66) and instead The Andrew Hale Story in its place, and again in its proper order?

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
The "Plus" was for the multi-format channel - for cable systems that didn't have room to carry all of the ENCORE channels, they created a channel that one day a week would run the feed for one of the other ENCORE channels.

The "Plus" Branding was so it could be identified separately from the main channel the programing was on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks