Help with a new subwoofer, please..!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Herb Kane, Aug 5, 2001.

1. Herb Kane

Herb Kane Screenwriter

Hello folks:
    I am in the process of upgrading my present subwoofer (M&K V75 Mark-II). Yesterday I picked up a Paradigm Servo 15 to demo for the weekend and to compare. I don't have the external XO for it, but I believe the gent said it was fixed at 100hz (??). I presently have my processor (Lexicon MC-1) set at 80hz. Optimally, is this the best setting for a demo of this sub...? With the MC-1, I can only go 40, 80 or 120.... would there be a potential risk factor setting it at 40 (listening to such things as TS2, Titan AE etc)...? So far, I am very impressed. It seems very transparent and certainly blends in with music much better than the M&K. Certainly "punchier" than I have been used to... BTW, I usually leave my speakers set to large.
    Secondly, I'd be interested in hearing any opinions as to alternative subs comparible to the Servo 15 in terms of specs and $$ that you would recommend over the Servo 15. I suspect the apples to apples comparison for Velodyne would their HGS 15.... which is twice the price. Is it twice the sub...? I can get the Paradigm new for about $1300 CAN (which is about $865.00 US $). Also, I would prefer to just have one sub. I have heard of a few DIY recommendations.... though not sure I have the confidence to go that route....
    As for my room, it is approximately 14x23 with a cathedral ceiling - 8' up to 11.5' in the center. I have an 8' opening to the dining room at the rear of the HT. Carpeted throughout and 3" accoustic soundboards at the front of the room from the floor up to about 4' up the wall. So the room is well damped but not too dead. Also want to confirm that based on my room size, the subs I am considering (or ones you recommend) are adequate.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,
    Herb Kane.
    ------------------
    System - Lexicon MC-1, Bryston 9B ST & 4B ST, Pioneer Elite DVD DV-05, Martin Logan (Ascents, Aerius i's, Scripts & Cinema), M&K 75 sub, Richard Grays 1200S, Sharp XV-Z1 projector & Da-Lite Cosmo screen.

2. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Herb:
    I am sure the owners of SV Subs will be in here to give you some specific recommendations but I can say that without a doubt that your best bet is to go with one or a pair of the SV Subs. They offer the best "bang" for the buck out there. You can also read the many reviews that our members have posted here on the forum about these subs.
    I personally have one of the CS Ultra lines and it THE best sub I have ever had the privledge of owning.
    Parker

3. Mike Thompson

If you are thinking about DIY, you could be in for a treat. Whatever amount you can budget for a sub, you can build one that will equal a commercial unit going for over 2X as much. This holds true particularly as your budget goes up. For example, $1000 will get astounding bass, and will be equalled only at great cost on the retail market. And unlike speakers with complicated crossovers, bass units are very easy to design and build. Well of course the build process requires some handiness and access to tools. So if you can cut and glue with some competency, I can show you some web sites where you can get parts and designs that will amaze you when finished.
    Mike
    (Insert standard disclaimer here, no affiliation yada yada)

4. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    i just got my SVS 25-31PC a few days ago. you really should check out their line of subs...i'm more than pleased with mine! i'm sure Ron or Tom will be in here soon (or another satisfied customer) to give you a little more info. but SVS rules!!!

5. Herb Kane

Herb Kane Screenwriter

Hello:
    TV did offer some help on another forum board... (thanks again, TV).
    If anyone has experience with any of the brands that I have mentioned, particularly the Paradigm Servo 15 and or Velo vs anything else, I would appreciate your input!!!
    Thanks,
    Herb.

6. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

While I'm convinced that a pair of SVS will beat the Servo, keep in mind that the Servo has gotten rave reviews as well and even Tom Vodhanel of SVS said that the Servo is an excellent sub. Personally I believe the Servo should be able to match or at least play in the same ballpark as most SVS models.
    In fact, if I could find a Servo somewhere locally I'd pick one up, but for some reason they seem hard to find in Scandinavia - which is annoying.
    Anyway... personally I doubt you will be able to find anything that is substantially better than the Servo with the exception of going with a matched pair of SVS subs. Other than that... the Servo is almost universally considered to be an excellent sub for both music and HT use.
    ------------------
    /Kimmo

7. Steve Morgan

Steve Morgan Second Unit

Steve
    Two weeks ago I recieved the SVS 20-39cs sub and am using a channel of my Parasound 2205at to drive it. I have lived with my Servo 15a for 2 years now. My room is 30'x 16' with it open into the dining room so on one side of the room I lost spl on the bass signal. As of now I am not losing bass on that side anymore.I feel that the SVS sub is matching the Servo note for note right now and I have had no problem with it bottoming out at Reference levels.My Ref 30 is crossed over at 70hz with my Von Schweikert VR3.5;s and LCR35 center and the blend is seamless.For $399 I can't believe it!My Servo ran $1250 new.I wish that SVS had been around 2 years ago.The only thing is the SAF. We have a ficus tree in the corner so luckily I have hid it behind the tree. The wife didn't notice it until I pointed it out. Two would be hard to hide though.Either way they are both fantastic subs.
    ------------------