Help with a 32"-ish TV purchase

Discussion in 'Displays' started by MaureenEP, Jun 29, 2005.

1. MaureenEP

MaureenEP Auditioning

Hi

I have been trying to make a decision about a mid-sized TV for a small den. I was settled on the Samsung LN-R328W – the 32” LCD- a nice TV. However, I don’t have HD and I don’t plan to get it soon (in the next year or so). What concerns me is the quality of a regular DirecTV input on an LCD. Yeah – DVD’s will be great, but 80% of my TV viewing is just off the standard DirecTV. It is a smallish room. Sometimes I will be sitting 3 feet away and sometimes 10, depending on what else I am doing.

So then I became interested in the SlimFit TX-R3079WH – a 30” “slimmer” CRT. It is a small space, so a regular tube TV is not going work – but this might. Except, after looking at it, it is not quite big enough. I was hoping for a 32” to 37” screen.

So – to make a short story long, does anyone know if Samsung or anyone else is coming out with a larger screen on the SlimFit line? How bad is the picture on LCD if it isn’t HD? And what about the Samsung Vixlim that I have heard about ? When is that thing coming out? Any answers or suggestions for systems would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Maureen

2. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

Hi Maureen

There definitely will be more slimfit TVs coming. How much larger, I don't know. And you might be looking at 1 or 2 years wait for larger than 30 inches.

As far as LCD, the best is the Sony KLV-32M1. I don't have anything on the Samsung 328W, but the 326W did not produce as good a picture as the Sony using S-Video input on SD material.

Who knows when Vixlim will appear, they have been talking about it for 8 months. Also, it may only be a 30 inch to start. Even though what I saw said 32 inch, in Europe 32 is our 30 inch.

Since you are willing to spend enough for the 328W, spend whatever extra and get the Sony KLV-32M1.

3. MaureenEP

MaureenEP Auditioning

Hi Arthur-

I have looked at that model and the picutre is lovely, but the cabinet design does not thrill me. It looks bulky - the samsung has a much sleeker look. I know that may sound silly, but it is important to me. On your suggestion, I will have another look, though.

Thanks

Maureen

4. Blaine Skerry

Blaine Skerry Second Unit

Another TV you might want to consider is the BenQ DV 3250 although the cosmetics are similar to the Sony. Also, at only three feet away, standard definition TV will probably not look too good.