What's new

Help with a $3000 doller system (1 Viewer)

Anthony.L

Grip
Hi, I am trying to help out a friend pick out a system. They are willing to spend $3000-$3500. This is what I was thinking:
HK7200 $839 (clearence price)Also Condsidering NADT753
NHT SB3 $600 Mains(pr)
NHT SB2 $400 Surround(pr)
NHT SC2 $400 center channel
Denon 2200 $550

AND A SUB.($500-$600) Any suggestions?

Also, feel free to make any comments or suggestions. this is for a Jazz musician. It's for a medium sized room. Music is his priority, but also want's surround.

Thanks!!

Drew_W

Screenwriter
What's he thinking? Again, I find myself preaching the importance of auditioning. He could not like the sound of the NHTs, and might prefer something different. You have to go and *LISTEN* to these systems. Paper specs won't tell you anything about the quality of the sound. And don't discount the importance of the receiver either. If you want good punch and clear definition, don't skimp here.

If you want a *SOLID* test DVD to go auditioning with, buy Diana Krall's Live in Paris disc. And then hit as many audio shops as you can and listen to systems, as many as possible. It is then that HE'LL know what he likes. Your ears are different than his.

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
If you are going with NHTs, consider five M5s for 450 each (this great dealer can't officially discount these M5s more, but he explicit will give free shipping and free speaker/rca cables). Or three M5s and two SB2s. The HK 7200 would work fine with these speakers (in a midsized room).

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....oni&1086717816

Anthony.L

Grip
Thanks for the replies. Of course these speakers and components will be auditioned, but the true audition will take place in his actual listening area. Once he makes his purchase he will have thirty days to decide if it's what he really wants. He likes my NHT 2.5I and he read some good reviews on the NHT book shelf speakers. Are there any other speakers that we should consider checking out in this price range?

Dillon Poole

Agent
If it were me and will probably be primarily music, I would put the most money in the mains...

NAD T753 Rec. - 800
NAD T513 DVD - 300
B&W 603 Mains - 1100
B&W 601 Surrounds - 450
B&W LCR60 Center - 400
SVS 25-31PCi Powered Sub - 550

But as usual, let him listen for himself, but definitely add B&W (hell, Mission and Canton also for that matter) to your auditioning list.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks