What's new

Help with a 2.1 Home Theatre System (1 Viewer)

Mulder89

Auditioning
Real Name
Alex
Hi everyone! So i've finally decided to replace my current 5.1 Samsung all in one system with a custom built 2.1. I've decided to go for a 2.1 because my room is quite small so it doesn't take that much to reproduce good sound. Not being an expert if anyone could give me some advice regarding my idea i'd appreciate it. I was thinking of going for this av receiver: Pioneer VSXS300. I realize this is a 5.1 amplifier so i was wondering if i would have any problems considering i will only have 2 front speakers and a subwoofer. (wanted to go for a 5.1 in case in the future i decide to add more speakers)
As my choice of speakers I was looking out for the Tannoy mercury v1 and this Tannoy subwoofer:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/TANNOY-SFX-SUB-Subwoofer/dp/B004FP8QL6/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1335283753&sr=1-1
Thanks!! :)

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
I realize this is a 5.1 amplifier so i was wondering if i would have any problems considering i will only have 2 front speakers and a subwoofer.
You will be able to configure the receiver for a 2.1 system with the setup menus in the receiver.
In the setup menus, you will be able to tell the receiver that you have no center channel (which will then split the normal signal that goes to the center channel between the front 2 speakers - creating a "ghost" center) and no surround speakers. You then will set up the receiver to turn the sub output to ON. It is a good idea to plan for further expansion. In the future, if you get the surround speakers and center channel, you would then go back into the configuration menus and turn these settings back on.
I would recommend getting a matching center channel if you can afford it as well - and make a 3.1 system instead of a 2.1 system...
As for the sub - that is an 8" ported sub running for $100.00....I would recommend getting a 12" highly rated sub for around the same price.
It is not required that the sub and the main speakers are from the same manufacture.....
- Powered Sub - Dayton Audio SUB-1200 12" 120 Watt Powered Subwoofer - $129.00
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-629&utm_source=googleps

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks