What's new

Help with 6ohm speakers (1 Viewer)

JoshMa

Auditioning
Hi. I am a noob to the forum and to some extent the home theater hobby. My current set up is made up of Boston Acoustics CRC center, CR7's for the l/r front, and also the surrounds. I am using a HK AVR 225 to power everything.

I recently came across a very good deal on some Monitor Audio speakers. After listening to them, I couldn't pass on the great deal. The Monitor Audio set up consists of 2 b4's for the front l/r, a Bronze center, and 2 b2's for the surrounds. The b4's have a sensitivity rating of 91 and a nominal 6ohms. The center is also rated at a sensitivity of 91 but at a nominal 8ohms. The b2's have a sensitivity of 90 and a nominal 6ohms.

My HK AVR225 only mentions 8ohms speakers. Can I use it to power the Monitor Audios safely? Would something like a Denon 1804 or NAD T742 be better? Most consumer receivers seem to only be rated at 8 ohms. In my research, I almost always find mention of either 8 or 4 ohms. Sorry for the long post. I would appreciate any advice you can offer. Thanks.

DonnyD

Screenwriter
Not sure about your HK. although I wouldn't think it would pose a problem for the receiver with 6 ohm speakers. I've been running 6 ohm Energys with my Yam RX-V1 in the L,R,C,LS,RS positions and 4 ohm JBL for rear center for some time now and have no problems. Perhaps someone will speak up about the HK for ya.... but most speakers state "nominal" impedance which usually means the impedance will dip to that level at times.
Still son't think you would have a problem. The MAs are some pretty popular (and pretty good) speakers and there should be a lot of'em around here........
Go for it...........

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks