help with 3802 volume levels

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Chet Wilson, Oct 29, 2002.

1. Chet Wilson

Chet Wilson Stunt Coordinator

I did not find an answer to my problem the first pass thru the superbly written Denon userguide...

So maybe someone out there can help. Here is my problem:

If my input source (at the receiver) is set to VHS, CD, or turntable I must turn my volume control well below 0db for normal listening. If I am running DVD I have to turn my volume all the way up (18db) to get listenable levels. Needless to say if I am listening to DVD and switch to VHS the volume level blows your ears out. I checked to see if there is a gain control for the DVD input at the Denon or Sony and I couldn't find anything. What am I missing here. Could it be that the input signal from the Sony is just lower?

2. Henry_W

Henry_W Stunt Coordinator

Well - yes you can (rather cumbersomely) adjust volume for input source and keep the settings automatically for when that source is selected.

Before mentioning the 'how' I should ask if you have researched a cable or other input issue. I don't know your equipment, but I believe most will say that the newer electronics and digital connections of a DVD player usuall create just the opposite of your scenario - the DVD player volume is substantially higher. Regardless here goes...

You should, if possible, use an SPL meter to get all speakers working in unison (I do this for all sources once and let it be - be sure to record settings in case something shoots the reciever's memory), but you go to the individual speaker level setup while your input source is DVD and adjust the volume level up (I believe you can go as high as +12db - although I would restrain myself at around 6-9db just to conserve wattage) for each speaker. based on the wide differences from source to source you will still have to adjust volumes but you should be able to save the dog's ears when switching from DVD to another source.

3. Chet Wilson

Henry thanks for your time. I did go a bit further in troubleshooting.

I set the volume control to 0db. I then switched to CD and got high level of volume. I then switched to VCR and got high level of volume. switched to DVD and the volume level dropped dramatically.

I changed out DVD player cables-no difference (still low level)

I connected the DVD to VCR2 to check input- no difference(still low level)

I connected the VCR to the DVD input and got a hugh increase in volume with the same volume setting (0db).

My conclusion here the DVD player output signal is low to begin with. I have seperate 100w and 150w amps driving the front,rears and subs. What irks me is I should have plenty of power to drive my speakers- which I appear to have with everything except the DVD.

So Question to anyone. Is it possible to put a preamp or pre-preamp on the DVD audio output and strengthen the signal before it reaches the receiver preamp?

4. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Might be a silly question, but are you using an optical/coaxial 5.1 connection to go from your DVD to your recv? Or are you using the DVD's inbuilt 5.1 processor and feeding the 5.1 analog outputs to your ext-in inputs of your receiver?

Is the dynamic range compression turned on in your DVD player? Some DVD players have this setting.

Is the volume level low for both DD and DTS soundtracks?

5. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

Could someone please solve Chet's problem as I am encountering the same problem with my hookup. I did everything possible i.e. changed cables, changed from optical to coaxial, etc. but to no avail. The DVD volume has to be cranked up to 0 or more to get to decent SPL levels. At the same levels, the CD (also connected via optical) gives an ear bleeding output.
    So just as Chet was wondering, can I put some sort of a pre-amp with a 5channel pass through and boost the volume that way?
    Someone please help!

6. Chet Wilson

Nick,

I am using reagular audio/video cables nothing else. I should try the optical but it sounds like it will be to no avail. But for now I added a preamp I had. I ran the DVD audio to the AUX1 and the preamp output to the Denon. Works great, I now have equal sound levels to my VCR and CD. I didn't like adding something in between the DVD and receiver but I hate even more the idea of 7x 100w driving my speakers no louder than a loud conversation. This is probably not the best solution but it works till I figure out why the signal is so much lower than all the other equipment.

7. JeremySt

JeremySt Screenwriter

Jeremy

I think thats the problem, too. I have a 3802, and if anything, DVDs are louder than other sources. I think your DVD player has it's dynamic range set incorrectly.

8. Eric Samonte

Eric Samonte Screenwriter

Yup, Jeremy may have the solution. I too have a 3802 but I don't encounter that problem.

9. Chet Wilson

Jeremy/Yogi thanks. I took another look at the denon manual and in the back I found in small print something called dcomp. It appears that somehow it was set. I didn't see the option before going thru the menus because it appears that the receiver must have a signal coming in for it to show up on the on-screen menu. At least it wasn't there with nothing playing. I selected default settings and it must have been reset. My guess is the VCR or CD did not cause the dcomp mode to be active for DTS. Perhaps the receiver looks for some sort of surround signal for the settings under DTS to become active? I think if I had put a regular music CD into the DVD drive I would have caught it. As it sits now I have a separate CD player for music CDs. What makes me mad besides looking dumb is I have an engineering background with lots of troubleshooting experience. Because the denon manual is so crappy it was just not apparent what was going on. All my troubleshooting put it at the DVD player because everything else hooked into the same input was OK. Oh well maybe this will help someone else that has a denon.

10. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

Good to know that your problem has been solved. And its not your engineering background thats to blame but the Denon manual which is a direct translation from Japanse (done by a Japanese whose second language was English).

11. JohnDG

JohnDG Stunt Coordinator

Chet,

IIUC you are using regular RCA cables out of your DVD. Are you using 5 cables? Or 2?

If two, wouldn't one need to use the optical/coax to get DTS/DD to work correctly?

jdg