Help with <$200 DVD

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Quinn, Aug 27, 2003.

1. Quinn

Quinn Stunt Coordinator

Looking for progressive scan for a 61 in HDTV. I'm not concerned with music abilities. It is widescreen so I would like to be able to switch between interlaced and proper anamorphic video. This will be used for movies only. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Quinn

2. Dave HW

Dave HW Extra

Lots of people will probably chime in about the discontinued line of Panasonic players with the Faroudja chip: the XP 30, XP 50 and RP82. All are difficult though not impossible to find. All would probably go for a bit more than $200 if you found one. However, the RP 62 while also getting difficult to find can be gotten for much less. It too has the same Faroudja chip and is quite close to the others in video quality. I just got one on clearance at Magnolia HiFi (if you are on the West Coast) for $120. I've read of people getting them for under $100. At that price this player is a steal!

Dave

3. Quinn

Quinn Stunt Coordinator

I am in Portland, OR. Is Magnolia the entire West Coast of just the PNW? Being from Seattle originally, we had them all over the place.

4. Dave HW

Dave HW Extra

Portland? That's a cooincidence, so am I. You might want to check and see if Magnolia HiFi still has the RP62. I got mine at the Tigard store. Just make sure you get one without a B in the serial number.

Dave

5. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

might also want to look at the Denon DVD-900 which can be had refurbished from www.ecost.com for $99. It was originaly a $300 player and is Faroujda based and built using Panasonic's de-interlacer and menu systetm. It's built a little better than the Panasonic's, but has the same PQ.

6. Quinn

Quinn Stunt Coordinator

The Clackamas Magnolia still has the RP 62. I going to go down there tonight and check it out. Thanks for the heads-up!

Quinn