What's new

Help with $200-$300 sub (1 Viewer)

rjaco

Grip
Real Name
Randy Jaco
Okay, I am ready to get a sub. I have a yamaha 6140 receiver, 2 polk rti6 speakers for fronts and energy c-r 100s for surround on the way. Now I need a decent sub and will get a center later. I can't spend more than $300 and I don't mind buying used if I can find a good deal. My room is 15x15x10. I would say 90% movies and 10% movies and games. I have found a few and need to know what you guys think. Here is what I have found. If you know of others, feel free to include them. I would like to get something done by tomorrow.

Parts Express:Famous Maker 10" 100W Powered Subwoofer

HSU STF-1 Subwoofer

Bowers & Wilkins B&W ASW500 (used)

Velodyne CHT-10 Subwoofer (used)

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Add to your list the Acoustech H-100. It's a great sub that you should be able to find in your price range . . . actually, I believe someone on this forum has one for sale in the hardware for sale section right now.

I've had one for about 2 years now and it's been a great sub for me.

Brent_S

Second Unit
Randy, you mentioned building your entertainment cabinet in your other thread. Does that open the door for DIY? For subwoofers, that just means building a box of suitable dimensions. If so, what would your size limitations be for a sub cabinet? I've got an idea that would give you three 10" drivers and amp for about $240, but needs about 6 ft^3 of internal cabinet volume to work. You could do it with one cabinet that's 49.5"x16"x17.5" external or even with three individual cabinets that each have 2 ft^3 internal air volume (roughly 16"x17.5"x17.5" external). The dimensions can be altered as long as the internal volume is maintained.

-Brent

rjaco

Grip
Real Name
Randy Jaco
Brent, I am a trim carpenter by trade but don't know much about electronics. Think I could handle the wood part. Don't know about the rest. As far as the size issue. If built one that big. I would have to move out or my wife would kill me. It would have to be the size of the average sub.

rjaco

Grip
Real Name
Randy Jaco
The Acoustech H-100 maybe just what I am looking for. Thanks Seth.

Brent_S

Second Unit

Do you have any friends that might be interested in having you build or possibly building their own subwoofer? The driver I'm thinking of is the NPT-11-083-2 closeout that Jack's offering. The catch is, he has an $80 minimum order, which is why I suggested the 3x10" of this $30 driver. This is essentially the 10" version of the NHT1259 that many, including myself, have happily been paying $125-150 each since back in 1994 or so when Ken Kantor (founder of NHT) made them available to the DIY public...meaning at $30/each they're an absolute steal. Several of the commercial subs you're considering approximate the same cabinet size (2 ft^3) that single NHT 10" would require.

The only electronics in the equation would be cutting the correct size opening in one wall of the cabinet for this amp. Due to the impedance of the NHT driver, this same amp would work with either 3 in parallel or a single driver. A single has a nominal impedance of somewhere between 12-16 ohms...limiting this 300w into 4 amp to only about 100 or so watts delivered, which is all the NHT really needs to reach full excursion. Similarly, three drivers in parallel, would also allow this amp to deliver about 100 watts per driver. If you sell two drivers and keep one for yourself, you're looking at only $180 + enough MDF to build a 2 ft^3 cabinet custom finished to your/wife's tastes. :)

Otherwise, to add to the list of commercial considerations. The Cadence subs have been getting some decent press over at AVS. The 12" would would be at the top of your price range.

-Brent

rjaco

Grip
Real Name
Randy Jaco
Just realized that size matter. Sub needs to be around 12" max. Think I will go with the Stf-1

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babarrun
Recent bookmarks