What's new

Help with 2-channel music bias thanks (1 Viewer)

3spddrft

Auditioning
Real Name
Timothy
I've built a home theater out of great deals I can find and slowly built something up that I like. My main problem now seems to be room acoustics. The room is 20x12x8. The speakers are located about 5 feet in front of the front wall and 3 feet from the sides. One end of the room has a large window with drapes, on the sides are wide spots for louver doors. Behind the screen is a set of louver doors on the right side. The theater seating is two love seats and an extra wide chair. All very soft absorbent furniture.

It sounds good in 5.1 but when switching to stereo for music I have to turn the balance a lot to the right for the soundstage to be anywhere near the center.

To try and fix this problem I've raised the DT ProTowers about 3 feet and placed foam board covering the wall behind the screen. There are no other symptoms of the system besides the heavy left bias.

Thanks for any input I can get.

Xbox with XBMC
DVD: Samsung
Receiver: Sony 500W 5.1
Front: Definitive ProTower 400
Center: Defintive
Rear: Kenwood Bookshelf
Subwoofers: Polk PSW10 & Kenwood 8"

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
You might pop over to the HOme Theater Shack Forum and download the Room EQ Wizard program. It will allow you to take frequency response plots of both front speakers. That could give a clue as to what the problem is. My best guess is something is being lost from the louvered doors to the right.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks