Help, Will this work.......

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by RobertBo, Feb 17, 2006.

1. RobertBo

RobertBo Auditioning

I've used up most of my audio budget on Martin Logan Ascent i main channel speakers. I don't want to compromise these speakers with the rest of my setup so I need to know if this sound like a good or bad plan: I currently have an older Adcom amp rated for 120w/channel. I'm going to run my big ML's from a pre-out on my yet to be decided receiver (can't afford a $5000 Denon) so I'm thinking Pioneer VSX-72TXV......cheap plus I get more processing than other similar products THX,DTS etc in a clean package......too many receivers don't have THX. My biggest problem is what to do for the rest of my speakers. Martin LOgan surrounds are too $$$$ right now so I was thinking I would pick up 5 Bose Acoustimass cubes (single or doubles I don't know) to round out things until my cash flow improves. Is this too strange a mix? My theory is that electrostatics mixed with anything is a strange mix and I'm sure some of you will remind me of this but the Bose have such an impressive sound stage I think it will actually be a good match and easily driven by my Pioneer...any thoughts at all are eagerly needed, I'm really lost here. Thanks in advance!
    Bob

2. Robert_J

Robert_J Lead Actor

Robert
    Please use the search function and read the comments about Bose.

-Robert

3. George Monroy

George Monroy Stunt Coordinator

I think what this person is trying to say is that Bose is a no no.

4. Daniel.Han

Daniel.Han Stunt Coordinator

I have found with the MLs I have listened to (most all of their models), that they are able to produce quite an involving sound stage without surrounds running at all. You might just not want to buy surrounds for the time being and save the money for better surrounds later down the road.

On another note, I haven't done a lot of listening to Adcom amps, but I know that most MLs appreciate a nice clean source of power.

my .02

dh

5. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    For what those will cost, you could get any number of other “temporary” speakers that would sound much better. Plus you could just get the speakers you need, which is more efficient from both a practical and monetary standpoint than buying a complete set of five with a worthless “sub.”

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

6. RobertBo

RobertBo Auditioning

What would such a temporary speaker be. I really need some suggestions to match my ML's

7. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

Well, nothing's going to match them with the exception of other ML's. The point is, if you do a search, you'll see that the general recommendation is anything other than Bose. What's your budget for other speakers? If you're limited to "big box" stores then you could get JBL or Athena.