Help....wife is mad at me

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by John Alvarez, Aug 25, 2005.

1. John Alvarez

John Alvarez Screenwriter

We bought a computer a month ago. It came with a 50 dollar rebate. Well the box has just been sitting around so I ask the wife Monday are we done with this box yet. Her reply was yes. I put it out with the trash Monday night and Tuesday it's gone. Last night I get the " did you take the upc label off the box"? NO....Well you just threw 50 bucks away......[​IMG] Is there a way to get around not having the stupid freaking piece of box? I thought that was why you got a rebate reciept?

Funny thing is that she's more mad that I get rid of crap if it sits too long rather than the 50 buck we don't have....[​IMG]

2. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Nah, you have to have the UPC to send in with the receipt or rebate receipt. They're super strict that all guidelines are followed to-the-T so that they don't have to pay out as many rebates.

3. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

Chalk it up as a lesson learned - no UPC code, no rebate.

4. Daren Welsh

Daren Welsh Supporting Actor

Can you go cut a UPC off another box at the store?

5. John Alvarez

I think it needs to match the rebate reciept.

6. Marshall W. Carter

Marshall W. Carter Stunt Coordinator

Yup, they'll pretty much do anything to not pay you, as I've learned time and time again.

7. Daren Welsh

Right, but if it's from the same model, wouldn't it have the same barcode?

8. Joe Szott

Joe Szott Screenwriter

Your wife is a pack rat just like mine, hence she is insane. Don't ever feel bad about throwing away clutter, if you didn't do it you might be swimming in stuff being 'saved'.

If she was so worried about the UPC, why didn't she ask about it when you specifically asked her if it could be thrown away? She waited until Tuesday, she is trapping you. Just don't bite, I'm sure she'll survive it. [​IMG]

9. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

Yes it would. Of course you'd be vandalizing a piece of the store's property and making it impossible for the next person to get the rebate - making them the victim of your mistake. Other than that I can see no flaws with this suggested plan. [​IMG]

Rebates vary. Always read the rebate form to see exactly what you'll need to qualify for the rebate, and what you can safely discard. (I learned the same lesson under similar circumstances. [​IMG])

But hey, if she she knew the requirements and knew you were throwing the box out and didn't bloody say anything then this is her fault and her mistake. You are not psychic. She should have said, "Yeah, it's OK to throw the box out, just make sure you cut off the UPC first" instead of assuming that you would somehow know to do this. Given her failure to do this it is the height of something-or-other for her to now be made at you for her mistake. I'd ask her for the $50 she owes you. [​IMG]

Regards,

Joe

10. Bob McLaughlin

Bob McLaughlin Screenwriter

Bob
    Let's get 50 people to PayPal John a buck so we can save his marriage...[​IMG]

11. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

don't feel so bad. my friend just recently discovered $300.00 dollars worth of rebates .... that expired. [​IMG] right on joe! [​IMG]

12. Daren Welsh

Hey, John's in a pinch and I'm just helping a brother out since I know that business of blaming her for not remembering to cut the UPC out will only end up in more turmoil for him.

John, tell your wife you can get the $50 back (that you both forgot about) if she helps by providing cover while you do the dirty work.

13. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I agree with others that the decision was made by both to throw the box out, just because John was the one to physically do it, doesn't make him 100% to blame.

14. John Alvarez

[​IMG] That's funny.
    The real funny part is once we got into our dicussion about it, that it was more about me putting things away. I hate for stuff to be just out around the house unless it has a purpose. She can put something on the breakfast counter and leave it for a week. I'll ask daily are you going to put it away? The answer is usually why can't it stay there? Do you need that spot?.....[​IMG]

15. Dave_Brown

Dave_Brown Supporting Actor

Just do what I do when I know I'm in a situation like that with the SO that I can't win. Wait a few days or a week, get home before she does and put the receipt and $50 on the counter. When she asks what it is for, just make up some story about how you took the receipt back to the store, they looked it up on the computer and submitted the rebate form for you and the money just came in.

I'd rather lay out the $50 then to have her nagging me about it, which in my case would go on for YEARS.

16. Marko Berg

Marko Berg Supporting Actor

John, would they accept your wife as a substitute for the UPC code? You'd get your $50 and you'd no longer have to put up with her being mad. [​IMG]

17. Colton

Colton Supporting Actor

Just buy her some flowers. She'll forgive you.

- Colton

18. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

"...first you THROW away $50, then you spend MORE money on flowers!!!!" [​IMG]

19. ThomasC

ThomasC Lead Actor

I can't believe no one has suggested this yet: spend your weekends at the junkyard looking for the box until you find it!

20. Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino Lead Actor

Joseph DeMartino

I'm guessing you're single. Or soon will be. [​IMG]

Regards,

Joe