Help! Why can't I get 6.1 sound out of my Sony DA 5ES!

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by james e m, Dec 20, 2003.

1. james e m

james e m Second Unit

I have a Sony 5ES receicer hooked up to a 7 channel Sherbourn amp and I can't get the stupid 6th channel to work!

I've put all the information in the set up menu and I've tried setting 6.1 to "on" and "auto". It still does'nt work!!!!![​IMG]

Can somebody please help me!

James

2. Roger Dressler

Roger Dressler Stunt Coordinator

Do you mean no program audio, but you do get test tone signals--or you cannot even get the internal test signals to come out? If the latter, make sure the amp is connected to the right output jack on the 5ES--sometimes the nomenclature is confusing. Also make sure that if you do move the amp's input to a known live output, that a signal is audible from the back speakers.

Assuming the connections look right and the amp/speaker are proved operative, the lack of test noise suggest a configuration problem. When the test noise is running, does it display that it is stepping thru the back speakers, or just skips from Ls to Rs and no backs are attempted? If the Back settings are displayed with no sound, that's back to the amp/speaker question. If the test mode doesn't show the back speaker positions, then the decoder is not aware you have them connected. Check the speaker config menu again.

Check the above and report back with some additional details. We'll get this sorted out.

3. james e m

james e m Second Unit

:b
    It works now. It seems the cable speaker cable worked its way out of the banana plug and I could'nt see it because of the coverings of the plugs. Thanks for the advice Roger!

James

4. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

It always stinks when the simplest solution is never thought of... I often do this....