Help! Which Surround Sound system should I purchase?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Porter, Jan 11, 2002.

1. Kevin Porter

Kevin Porter Supporting Actor

Harting Hello all. I was wondering which SS system I should buy. I am new to the world of Surround Sound and I was looking into a BOSE. I want to know what the best of the best is and the best of the budget systems are. I was also interested in the Sony DVD combo. Can someone help me?

~Kevin

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hi kevin! welcome to the forum.

what is the best of the best? that is too subjective of a question. you can buy components that cost many thousands of dollars each, you can buy hi-end receivers that cost up to five thousand each, or you can buy mainstream receivers that cost anywhere from 300 to 3000 dollars each.

if possible, you'll need to be more specific.

1. what is your budget

2. are you looking for separates or a htb (home theater in a box)

i'd say the majority (but not all) of the people here tend to stay away from bose...you'll probably be able to find a much better setup at a cheaper cost if you do your homework.

anyway, try to give some more details...it'll assist us in helping you out.

3. Kevin Porter

My budget would be about up to $2000. As for a home theater in a box, It depends on which is better. Does that help you in reccomending anything to me?

~Kevin

4. Tim Kline

Tim Kline Stunt Coordinator

I started with a cheapy home theater in a box, and it was ok but my tastes soon outgrew it. I upgraded to stuff that would still be considered beginner level to a lot of people, but I for one am very happy with what I have, and you can get it all for under $1500. There is a link to everything in my sig if you click my home theater link.. but basically, my Yamaha receiver was $500 around 9 months ago. My JBL speaker package was around the same, and you can get a decent subwoofer for around $200-300 (my sub is still the one from my old HT in a box but it still sounds OK to me) If you follow the link to the JBL speakers on my page, you can check out their subs at the site too. The PB10 was I think $270 the last time I saw it at Best Buy, that is actually next on my list.
    I got the JBL speakers because of a lot of posts I made here and a lot of folks recomended it for my price range. They're supposed to work incredibly well together because of the way they are designed, but I don't know how the techie stuff works, I just know it sounds great [​IMG]
    I got the receiver at Tweeter and the speakers at Best Buy, I'm sure you can find them online somewhere too. And for cables, I use all Monster Cable (Monster XP is what it says on the spool) and I also use monster cables to connect all the components together, so don't forget to factor in another $100-whatever just for cables.. it doesn't seem like it at first, but it adds up [​IMG] You can go with generic speaker wire from Home Depot if you like, I just got monster cables cuz I like em for no peticular reason [​IMG]

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

with a 2K budtet, i would absolutely, without a doubt go with separates and forget the htb.
    unfortunately, i'm not up on current models for speakers and receivers. post specific questions in the respective forum. ask for recommendations within your budget. also, be sure to do a search and look at other threads...lots of info already posted.
    i'm gonna guess a decent receiver will be about 600. companies include (in no particular order): outlaw, denon, onkyo, and yamaha.
    that leaves you 1400 for speakers. you can definitely get some great speakers at that range. recommendations include: paradigm, energy, polk audio, infinity, and klipsch.
    oh yeah...you'll need about 250 for a decent dvd player. recommendations: sony, panasonic, toshiba, etc.
    like i said, 2K is a generous budget...go for separates and forget about the htb!

6. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

2000.00 goes a pretty long way in HT nowadays. If you don't need a t.v. then you can dedicate that much more into a kick a** system. If it were me here's how I'd go with it
    A good package speaker system from http://www.audioadvisor.com or Home Theater Direct look out for the Power subs as well. A receiver like Harman Kardon AVR 520 for about 600. and finally a DVD player around 300. I wasn't specific on the DVD player because there a good amount to choose from.

7. Kevin Porter

And where should I set all this up. I already have a DVD player but a new HDTV would be nice. I just don't know where to set-up my home theater. Could I put it up in my living room? My parents bedroom is on the other side of the house still I'm paranoid that they still might hear it. What do ya'll need to know?

~Kevin

8. Anthony Stephan

Anthony Stephan Stunt Coordinator

Kevin,

If you're going to play your system at any decent level, then yes, your parents may hear it.

Sounds like a domestic issue to me.

As far at your room goes, try to find a place where the TV or monitor can be on a straight wall, (no corners unless you absolutely have to).

And if you can have solid side walls (no doorways) all the better.

You should look at some of the pictures available here.

You will see tons of set ups.

9. Tim Kline

Tim Kline Stunt Coordinator

I've found the best way to set it up.. is in a rectangular room if you can.. put the TV on 1 of the short walls, center on top, front speakers in each corner, turned slightly inward aimed at the "sweet spot". Then you make your sofa or main sitting position directly in front of the TV and about 3/4 back facing the tv. Then, for the rear speakers you want them next to your sweet spot, on the walls pointing right at each other, and around 3 feet above where your ear will be. You can move them back slightly if you have to because of windows and stuff. Right now the best I can do is have them near the celing and I always feel like the sound is "above" me more than surrounding me [​IMG] I need a new house with less windows [​IMG]