What's new

Help, which power strip should I buy? (1 Viewer)

Brian Duke

Grip
I've done some searches here but can't quite decide on what is best. I want to spend under $150 and hope that will get me adequate protection for my equipment which is worth about $5K. From what I've read, it sounds like a surge supressor/line filter is preferred over a true line conditioner for A/V use. If true, I've seen a lot of mention of the Monster HTS2000 and Panamax 8DBS5 products. Which is better? Is there something else I should consider?
Thanks,
Brian

PomingF

Second Unit
For around $50 you can get the TrippLite Isobar DBS surge protector which has been rated very high by Consumer Report which unfortunately did the same for Bose. :)
PF

Brian Duke

Grip
Thanks for the tip. I found this TrippLite product at globalmart that has 6 outlets, rj12 and coax protection:http://www.globalmart.com/computer/s...SOBAR-6DBS.htm
It looks nice, but I wish it had more outlets.
Has anyone taken any of these products apart to see if the guts are as good as the marketing? Has anyone every had to file a claim with one of these companies and did you have any problems with that?
Thanks,
Brian

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I'm not so sure that the average consumer taking apart a power strip would be able to discern quality...the review in Consumer Reports should provide sufficient education for understanding differences and what to look for. As far as warranty, you need to contact the specific manufacturer to outline your particular scenario...i believe in many cases what you'll find is that first your homowner's insurance has to kick in and then the warranty on the strip. talk dollars and cents with them to understand exactly what is being protected...replacement value or fair market value.
btw, all good choices...I use apc but that's not a biggie..triplite is a good company too that's been around for a while.

PomingF

Second Unit
Brian:
I was looking around for my 3rd TrippLite and found this place called ShoppingMatrix.TV
That is if you have not ordered yours yet. I'll give them a call later to see how's their S&H. J&R also carries some TrippLites but can't seem to find the DBS.
I already have two DBS in use and can't be happier for $50 each. Of course I haven't had the chance to use the insurance but so far they at least seem to handle all occasional blackouts fine and pose no negative effects on system performance. :)
P.S. Can't seem to get the link to work but here's how I found it. Anyhow I went to Yahoo/shopping/electronics and search for Tripplite. It came up for $61.36
PF
[Edited last by PomingF on July 24, 2001 at 08:26 AM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks