What's new

Help! Which Cables Should I Get? (1 Viewer)

Geoff MK

Grip
Hi, I am setting up a new HT for my new house and am considering which cables to buy. I already bought my component video cables from BetterCables.com but I don't know what speakers wires or digital coaxial cables I should get. All opinions and suggestions welcomed. Thanks.
Geoff

Ron Boster

Screenwriter
Geoff:
I think you already answered your own question.... Bettercables!
My first BC was the component. I then tried their audio connects. I was even more impressed on the audio side. I have since purchased all audio, digital, speaker and sub cables from Brad at BC.
Ron

John Morton

Stunt Coordinator
I'm sure there are equal or maybe even superior out there, but I also purchased all BCs and am very happy.
------------------

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Shamrock Audio is making cables. DIY Cable.com does. Bolder Cables is another one. AV Reality is another dealer. Depends upon how much you want to spend.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Well, lets do this cable by cable:
Digital Coax: This should be an ordinary video cable. The signals are digital so they are much-less sensitive to the cable than an analog signal. You can save money here by buying a ordinary video cable.
Speaker Wires: For an audiophile music system with power amps, and very sensitive panel speakers, the wire becomes a factor. But Home Theater soundtracks contain a lot-less information and accuracy is not the ultimate goal. IMHO: it's a waste of money to spend more than about $1/foot for speaker wire for a HT System. You are just not going to realize much improvement for the money.
So my advice is to buy some good 12 ga wire and use it for all your speakers. You can get this for about $0.50/ft at Home Depot, or for about $0.34 for the "Sound King" 12 ga at www.partsexpress.com
So where do you put the money? Good video cables. But you already have those. So take the money I have just saved you and buy that Godfather collection that is due out in a few weeks.
Good Luck.

Bryan Acevedo

Second Unit
Also, Link Removed has the Acoustic Research Pro Series cables for pretty good prices. The build quality is great, and the performance is outstanding. You should see the S-Video cables - they are thicker than the Monster 400 Sub cable - shielded like crazy!
It is rumored (I can't back it up) that these cables are actually made by Monster, but for a fraction of the price. For example, the 25' sub cable is $28. The Monster 24' sub cable is like $59.
The S-Video cables are like $13, where as the similiar Monster stuff is like $34.
I really like these cables and highly recommend them.
Bryan

NathanP

Supporting Actor
Acoustic Reasearch is Great,
But if your like me and like to save a bit more money, I bought a 20 foot strand of 10 gauge speaker wire for $3 at www.speakerhole.com
It works great.
Good Luck,
Nathan
------------------
"Fascinating Captian"
--Spock
Visit www.speedemenu.com

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks